New members!

Chris

Reefing newb
We finally have some new members! Welcome aboard. Tell me about your saltwater tank setup. Just curious. :?:

150 all glass mega flow in living rm, standard cabinet, diy hood, all equipment, sumps, etc out side in equipment shed. 2- 250 and 1 175 mh, 2 sets hamilton atinic o3 flour, moon light home made on 30 day dimming timer, 2- sea swirls in corners looped from pump in tank, drain will be 2 1/2 or 3" collected under tank, to out side and split to drain into a cpr 294 connected to a 30 gal sump connected to a 100 gal aquarium sump, connected to a cpr refuge pro looped to a final stage sump. turbofloter 1000 with ozone, phosphate reactor, automatic calk makeup from 5 stage ro system, multible filters tapped off of the 100 gal. 1/3 & 1/5 in line and drop in chillers, 4 250 watt jab jager heaters set 1 degree apart. tank is dry, equipment shed will be built soon, need to drill floor and install drain and return lines out to equipment shed location. much automation as possible as system develops. well about it for now. glad to be on board will return often as I can.

Wow! Sounds like a REALLY nice setup! Do you have some pictures you could post?

How do you like the Sea Swirls? I was looking at those the other day as a way to make my water flow more random.

One more question for you... About the refuge.... what have you found to be successful size and contents to help keep your nitrates at 0. I am currently running a 10 gal refuge under my 55 gal tank with a 6 inch DSB and capurla(sp?) growing on top with the light on 24-7. Works pretty good for me.

Feeding anemones live fish

anemones and corals are best fed with a commercial liquid food although anemones will eat frozen brine shrimp, caution is advised with frozen brine shrimp not to over feed and pollute your tank, small pieces are advised.

I have some pics but not sure how to post them, need help. on the refuge, I will be using a cpr pro modified by dividing the main sump area with a 4 inch high divider, i will use kent marine bio sediment on one side and miracle mud on the other. plan on some red mangrove maybe 4 or so. I also will be running a phosphate reactor with phos ban off of the large sump. once system is up and if nitrates are not under control will add a nitrate reactor. tank is still dry at this time. this week drilled floor and installed a 3 inch drain and 1 1/2 inch return. finished installing carved trim at aquarium glass ends and front at cabinet and hood border and glass corners. just ordered 120 lbs of dry large rock from HIROCK.com. will report when received, price very good, 184 dollars dilivered. next step is to install mega flow returns and over flow tubes, valves and unions with reducers in the cabinet and connect all up, then to hood for installation of fans, lighting, etc. so will advise as I proceed. will post pics if I can figure out how and where.

Just add them as an attachment when you post a message. Then the picture will show up in the message. Looking forward to the pictures.

With anemones, feeding can at 1st be troublesome. do not force feed and be careful not to pollute the tank with uneaten food. do you have a clown fish? I would try a very small piece of fresh shrimp (not cocktail), not packaged but fresh from market if available. use a feeding tube and gently let it drop out onto the animal near the mouth and see if their is a response. I have had anemones that never did eat and didn't make it and i've had them settle right in and eat like crazy. Be very careful with it but I would try soaking the shrimp in mussel juice, maybe even a small piece of mussel, but be careful not to pollute the tank. fish, squid, crab, chuncks of siver sides/1/4" or so, and other smelly things can be used as long as it is suitable for human consuption/no preservatives, fresh, or, not freezer burned. use only marine food to feed you're anenome. I would recommend you read all you can on anemones. a few recommendations are Sea Anemones (as a hobby/ everything you need to know to get started) by U. Erich Friese, and Anemone fishes and their host sea anemones by Fautin and Allen. lighting may be a problem, animal may not be hungry, hope this helps somewhat.

150 reef still dry. tried to post in photography but think i posted too many cant open some, or dont know how so here is one head on

Hey Chris, how in the heck do I view pictures. I see the post is there but cant find the button to open the picture ha!! probably right in front of me huh?? The canopy is completely enclosed, and sits on top of the aquarium. the trim holds it on there. will seal at the wood to top of tank line and will vent hood with 4 3" ice cap fans and an additional series of exhaust fans not totally worked out yet on the exhaust part, but 4 ice caps will be intake. MH pendants inside as well as other lighting. ballasts and timers on top. pic/s as I get it progresses.

When you view or preview the pictures they should display just make sure they are all in the .jpg format. If you click on the picture it will make it biger.

sorry I did not get it. have put pics in photograpy same problem have pic listed but cant open, so started my gallery, seems to work ok there. will thread this subject in photography thanks for your help.

180 gal in wall. 200 lbs live rock, 1 1/2" live sand, 100 gal sump in baesment. Just had a major issue in the tank lost all but peppermint shrimp,crabs and snails. Couple of softies left, and a gorgonian. On the comeback trail though will keep you posted. Im new to this forum hope to meet lots of knowlegable reefers to swap stories with.

Wow, sorry to hear about your loss. Can you post some pictures of your basement sump and how its hooked up? Just curious, if I ever get a basement again.

Im also interested in your basement equipemnt. Im in the process of setting up a 150 reef with all equipement outside in an equipment shed the house floor is higher so plumbing overflows and returns are plumbed under the house and out the foundation wall into the equipemnt shed. getting ready to start the equipemnt shed equipment setup. you can catch me on live chat mon, wend, fri. at 9pm eastern time. if nothing happening i dont stay long though. welcome to the forum 180 large. looking forward to talking with ya.

Back