New Mimic Tang

salt_for_brains

Alabama Reefer
Here is my replacement fish for my coral and clam nipping Lemonpeel Angel. Acclimated very well yesterday so fingers crossed. My Falco wanted his picture taken as well.
image-1.jpg

Your mimic has the bright blue edging on it's fins?

Yes it does:

Mine came from Diver's Den and originated from Vanuatu. She's retained the blue outlines on her fins and gill plate, along with her blue eyes, but the outlining has faded a little bit as she has gotten bigger. She's roughly 3" now, was about 2 1/2" when I got her last June.

As far as identifying Salt's tang, I do believe he has a mimic tang. The mimic tangs as juveniles have a rounded tail, where the atlantic blues have a squared off tail - Salt's fish clearly has the rounded tail. From what I've seen, the atlantic blues also change colors when they are much smaller than the mimics and you can pretty quickly see the lines through the body on the atlantic blues. I've seen mimics well over 3 1/2" that still retain their juvenile appearance, but have seen atlantic blues that have fully changed before they reach 2".

That's an awesome looking fish. How big to they get?
Around 8"
FishyReef, that is a great description and sums up pretty well everything I found while researching. I have personally never seen an Atlantic blue juvi with the blue edged gill plate like ours have (not saying they don't have them). There is definitely a difference in the tails as you pointed out. Mine is right at 3" like yours and mine is already showing some darkening in the face and at the top of its back. It is a very cool fish and they do mimic the Lemonpeels very well!

Back