New... Need a little tank help

italipinos8

Reefing newb
I am new to the saltwater tanks but i have owned a 90 gallon freshwater tank for 3 years. The past couple of weeks i have been looking up info and was planing on switching my freshwater tank to saltwater. But then i realized the easiest way was to build a sump and drill a whole into the tank. Not sure if i wanted to do that... at least not yet just it doesnt turn out right.

So then i started to think that i could use my extra tank (i think it is a 55 or maybe 60 gallon). The dimensions are 3. ft long 18 in. wide and 1 foot tall. Will this tank be good? It isnt very tall. If so i was thinking of using a 29 gallon as the sump.

If i can succeed with the 55 gallon then i may switch it over to the 90 gallon (after the first year). All i want in the tank is some clowns, gobies, and easy corals.
I wont start cycling the tank until late June when we move and get into our new house.

Thanks for any help

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. Just to let you know in advance, most people here are gonna suggest that you drill the 90gal. You will appreciate it later on, instead of having the 55gal. Don't get me wrong, the 55gal is a great starter tank.

55g is a good place to start, but if I had a 90g tank full of freshwater fish and I decided I wanted a reef - those freshwater fish would turn into credit at the LFS and I'd be looking for a skimmer. :mrgreen:

Do the 90g tank. Only thing really that much more expensive is the lights. Lights are expensive anyway so whats another $200 for the right lights to work with the 90g tank? The skimmer might be an extra $100 for a 90g tank.

Use the 55g for your sump.

You can have a perfectly nice, beautiful saltwater tank without it being drilled or having a sump. Don't let that suggestion intimidate you or steer you away.

If you want to start out with an undrilled tank -- fine! You'll still love your tank and be able to keep corals and fish and everything else. Most of us start with undrilled tanks (because we don't know any better, honestly!). Eventually, when we upgrade, we switch over to drilled tanks. But I think the first tank I ever had -- my undrilled, sumpless 55 gallon tank -- was the prettiest tank I've ever had.

Just try it!

Alright, I'm kinda leaning toward the 55 gallon. I just want to know if that is good if it is only 1 foot tall. What is a decent protein skimmer for either of the tanks. I am trying to get the average price this is going to need to get started. I am guessing around 400-500 for the 55 gallon and much more for the 90.

Welcome aboard.
About the only problem with a 55,is their so narrow that its hard to aquascape them and still have room for fish and corals.But they are great starter tanks.
This will give you an idea on a good skimmer.CoralVue Protein Skimmers for Saltwater Aquariums & Reefs

One other little bit of advice.When you start in saltwater,forget everything you know about fresh water.An extremely common mistake the new hobbiest make,is they try to run a marine tank the same as a freshy.Saltwater has a completely different set of rules when it comes to livestock.

Also, since you are already thinking of going bigger, you should buy your lights, skimmer, Live Rock, etc. with the larger tank in mind so that you wont have to spend the money twice. Having an oversized skimmer won't cause any harm, and the lights are pretty much the same.

Back