New/old tank set up

Big Ben

Reefing newb
Well, after being out of the hobby for a while I am seeing quite a bit has changed!!! So, to start I have a typical run of the mill acrylic 55 gallon tank. When I had it up and running I had a back pack hang on filter with the overflow, protein skimmer, bio-balls and return. It was also equipped with a 220 watt 48" VHO ballast along with assorted power heads and the appropriate heater. I know this equipment is a little outdated but it should still be sufficient for getting started. I had moderate success with soft corals, mushrooms and some polyps. So will building a sump really work better than my hang on back pack? I plan on replacing the bio-balls with some live rock or crushed media for the mean time. So let's talk lighting! What do you think about supplementing my VHO lighting with some of the lower wattage MH's? Just looking around for ideas on where to go. I would like to have a nice reef tank that's as easy to care for as possible!

Welcome aboard Ben. Your system will run fine, especially if you ditch the bio balls and sub with live rock. The lighting I will let someone else cover for you. I know nothing about VHO lighting. Have fun renewing your love for the salty tanks :)

I finally went with a true sump/refugium with my current tank. I cant begin to explain how much better it is. On a 55 you can run t 5 lights and have a big choice in coral. It is really just a question of what you want to keep. If you are looking sps, claims and real light hogs then MH or led is the way to go. For softies, zoahs, shrooms and LPS then I would stay t5. What are you looking as a budget for up grading equipment?

If you arent looking to upgrade equipment then. Ditch the bio balls for sure. Only have sponges that can be rinsed easily and stay with low light coral.

I don't really have a huge budget to work with right now! Maybe I will just hold off getting started till I can get a sump built! Are the newer T-5's that much better than the current VHO setup I currently have? 220 watts of light seems like a decent amount for keeping softies? That's 4 watts a gallon, granted that a little low for any light hogging corals. When I was up and running in the past I was able to keep most softies I wanted and my LR had lots of coralline growth. Is a 10 gallon sump enough for my 55 or should I look to go bigger if I can fit it under the stand, bigger is better right? I am in no hurry as I want to do it right! Patients is a virtue!
Ben

The biggest issue for sumps in a 55 is the width of the stand. My 45 is the same width. I found a pre-made acrylic sump on e bay that is 15 gallons. Cost was $109 shipping hit me for another 30 bucks but it fit and works really well. The pump, skimmer, lights heater, over flow box, directional u tube all came from https://www.aquatraders.com/default.asp cost was $250...Two hydor power heads was another $50 or so...Sand was I think $20...various plumbing parts another $50...So my initial out lay was around $510...I had pretty much all the rock I needed...I did add another 30lbs a week later so another $40 (got a good deal on some live rock from my lfs) So the first week I was out less the $600...considering that just the lights my LFS wanted me to buy would have cost close to that. I think I did good by going cheap. This tank looks better then any tank I have ever done. It is easier to maintain also. Just passing the info, there are many ways to do a tank. I could have spent 2k easy on all name brand equipment but to be honest didnt have that kind of cash. How I did it is working great and I have no complaints. Have never had a wet floor (knock on wood) and all my readings are 0...I bought a frag pack a few months back and the frags have now doubled in size. For now I have zoahs, shrooms, various polyps. Next will be some LPS...and I want a controller...Anyway....I am the guy that does it all cheap and still survives...The equipment you have will work, stay on the easy corals. I strongly think you should go with a sump/refugium...For $200 to $250 you can have the entire sump, pump, overflow and a decent skimmer. :twocents:

Back