Reefing newb
:mrgreen:this are my new pictures of my tank
reef026.jpg
reef025.jpg
reef028.jpg
reef031.jpg
reef033.jpg
reef038.jpg

Top pic appears to either be a cabbage leather or some sort of mushroom... There are zoas under the algae in that picture too!

Second pic is xenia with aiptasia growing underneath it.

Third...not sure... Some sort of SPS. Stylophora??

Fourth picture is SPS (acropora), xenia, and more polyps.

The next one is another acropora.

The last one is another xenia.

I think I got those right?

Biff and Piggy,

the third pic is a christmas tree coral. They are really tube worms that look like tiny christmas trees and when you move to quick in front of the glass, they shoot back into their holes. It is kinda cool to watch them. They have them in the LFS from time to time, but you were dead on with the rest.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

no. It is some kind of rock. They always look like that, I promise. I have never seen them on anything else. I will gather some info about them tomorrow from the LFS and let you know what I find.

Of course, now that I challenged your mighty intelligence, you are probably madly searching the web to prove me wrong. :mrgreen: Do me a favor, tho, when you DO find out that I am right, will you at least admit it??? :shock: thanks sweetie.

they may have some weird hippy AZ name for it where you are and we are just probably talking about the same thing.

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

"A Christmas Tree Worm lives in a tube. The tube is like a shell that it builds on the surface of a coral. Then it sticks its head out of the tube."
Christmas Tree Worm on Star Coral, Grand Turk

"Corals shelter many kinds of invertebrates, such as this Christmas-Tree Worm. This worm builds a tube on the surface of the coral, and as the coral grows it buries the tube in the skeleton of the coral. Then the worm is protected with only its head showing."
Christmas-Tree Worm

"The lovely flower-like Christmas tree worm ranges throughout Florida, the Caribbean, and the Gulf of Mexico. Growing up to four inches, the round conical worm does resemble a Christmas tree, or many times a pair of Christmas trees. These worms live in a calciferous tube which shelters their whole body. The tube is attached to either live or dead coral."
Christmas Tree

"Much of the worm is anchored in its burrow, a hole bored into a live calcareous coral."
Christmas tree worm, Spirobranchus giganteus

"The reason that the worms are found on specific corals seems to be a result of larvae showing a strong settlement preference for corals such as Porites asteroides and Millepora complanata and ignoring corals such as Siderastrea, Dendrogyra and Agaricia. However, when researchers examined the growth and survival rates of worms on different coral species, worms that settled on Diploria strigosa did the best, followed by those living in Montastrea annularis, M. cavernosa, and Porites porites came in dead last in every measure of growth for the worms!"

"As far as I can tell from the research done on these worms, the primary reason that they are found almost entirely in association with live corals has nothing to do with nutrition. In fact, researchers have examined the boring invertebrate communities in corals that are live, to those in which 50%, or 100% of the colony was dead, and they found big differences. In living corals, only 3 species were commonly found (a bivalve, a vermetid snail and the Xmas tree worms)."
Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - Porites and 'Christmas Tree Worms'

Doc, I can go on and on with references. Are you ready to concede that Christmas tree worms burrow into and live off of live corals? Or do you need more *convincing*??

Lemme emphasize: "...They are found almost entirely in association with live corals." Ahem. <waiting for apology and heavy grovelling and flattery>

Yay Freak!!! I knew it was a live coral. Dr. Marco. We're all waiting on you. Sometimes, you have to step up and be the bigger man.

Reef, you are my hero. Thank you from saving me from having to grovel at the feet of the Biff-modster. She is a legend in her own mind. Reef, I grovel at YOUR feet and flatter you....flatter, flatter, flatter.....:bowdown:

Back