New project / Part time q tank !

LionFish

Resident Photoshopper
Ok I have obtained a 20 gallon tall tank from my brother and decided to Use it to place my Fish and Rock in while I tear down my 55 and do some Painting on my back glass

I went to my mothers house today and Cleaned out the 20, apon getting it home I Quickly masked off the top and Sides and commenced the spraying ( Black ) On the back glass. And I must say it looks SWEET:bowdown:

I had 10 gallons of RO/salt water mixing and Threw it in, I then mixed 10 more gallons and added it All thats in there now is My Pinguin 550 Powerhead and my Smaller pinguin Filter, I plan on getting the agra live sand mix ( the Black and white mix) and then I will add my Rock In the tank

I went to the LFS today and had the water tested from my main tank
salinity 1.021
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
PH 8.3
Calcium 250 PPM :shock: quickly added some good calcium stuff

from what the guy told me. my Water is spot on ... he didnt have a phosphate test in and he bet me his pay check that my phosphates were thru the roof
He said it was due to the RO water i have been getting ( not from him but from another Store) has a bad membrain and he would come to the house tomorrow Free of charge and help me handle the problem .

But i was thinking of tearing down my 55 and placing my Fish in the 20 tall for a few weeks after it cycles so i can Paint the glass on my 55.

Should I Do it or do you guys think it would Stress my Fish out to much to Go in the 20 ?
I REALLY LIKE THE LOOK OF THE BLACK BACK GLASS !

Pics comming !

What all do you have in your 55? Why do you have to tear it down to paint it? It would be smart the next time you do a larger water change to paint it then (put the fish in the 20, if you really feel the need to) and while your water level is down(the tank will be easier to move out from the wall with little water in it.), turn off all pumps and filters, Mask off the top make sure to seal the top air tight and spray it.

I wouldn't move the 55 even if it half empty. All the water moving around could damage the tank. You could just buy a black plastic back round and put it on, but if your determined you could paint it. What all do you have in your 55?

I have quite a bit in my 55

Lionfish, yellow tang, Blue tang, coral beauty, tomato clown
80+ Lbs of Rock 13 turbos 2 hermits , I guess i could use a roller to paint the back I am doing a 25 gallon change today to manage the algae bloom
I was gonna Brush off the Rock to remove any green I could slide the tank away from the wall Seal it off and Roll it then place it back against the wall, I wonder how the fish would handle that ?

That would be better IMO than outting all them in a 20 but I wouldn't move a 55 even half full.

Yeah Thats the plan then !
My new LFS guy is comming over later to check out my setup Ill run it past him as well, and I should have pics of the new tank later !

i will go with a black background...they are glossy and they look good as paint...to much to risk ..you could have several problems...choose wisely

I got it done !

I managed to Slide it out enough so i Could get back there and Paint it up. Looks good. My calcium went up to 500 ppm today and i put a bag of phosguard in With in 2 hours the green was gone Its still Foggy but i think it will clear up

I purchaced another 4 lb Live rock today With a great amount of coraline on it, When I got home i noticed a couple ( 3 ) leathers on it and what looks like some sort of polyp it hasn't opened enough yet for a good identify yet. I think the Leathers are kenya tree but they are still too small to tell I will post a picture a lil later.

I used acrylic enamel

vacation148.jpg

The New tank !
vacation146.jpg

Notice no more Green !
vacation149-1.jpg

vacation145.jpg

My new hitch hikers ! $24.00 Rock
vacation144.jpg

Nice pics!
Really nice macro shot on the Lionfish.I would get rid of the catfish in the second pic before it becomes a nuisance.

Thanks.
On the cat I wanted to Stick her in the tank rubberbanded to a Heavy rock and see If i could pass it as a puss coral! But the Wife wont let me !

Sorry,I had to make that joke.I really,really hate cats!My wife has two and if given the chance,they will try to go fishing in my tank.

Back