New Refugium--Need Help w/Setup

Hibye:
It's a CPR refugium. It's the large AquafugePS.

d.French;
COOL man! I was hoping this was a good buy. Glad to hear somebody else has used this with success.

Hibye:
It's a CPR refugium. It's the large AquafugePS.

d.French;
COOL man! I was hoping this was a good buy. Glad to hear somebody else has used this with success.

alot of local reefers in our club by that brand from ebay store good price especially replacement filters, got to love those ebay stores.

FedEx came today.

I bought some of those really cheap Azoo powerheads from FosterSmith. I got 2 of the 1200 series that pump 317GPH. And a 600 that is rated at 158.

I also got my Coralife dual timer unit. Very cool. I'm likin' it.

Got some phosban and some media bags. It said to use 50 grams for a 50 gallon tank. My tank is 30g, so I used about 15-20 grams. Don't really want to instantly remove all the phosphates. Just want it lowered a bit. When my bucket of salt gets here next week, I'm scraping off the rest of the hair/rope algae on the sides of my tank and then do a couple 10g water changes in like 3 days. Hopefuly, that will get rid of the algae on the sides of the tank and keep my cheato happy in the fuge.

I set the timer up. I plugged my fuge light and my actenic to come on at 6:30am and shut off at 10:30pm. My daylight 10K is set to come on at 8:15am and shut off at 8:15pm. I also put those 2 Azoo 300GPH powerheads on the same schedule as the daylight. They will be off at night. They should come on tomorrow morning at 8:15 with the 10K daylight and shut down again at 8:15pm.

During the night, and I have 2 powerheads @ 100GPH on the top of the tank. They are rolling the surface layer of water 24/7. The fuge pump is 300GPH. So, I got about 500GPH going 24/7. But at 8:15am, two more powerheads at 300GPH each will kick on and run until 8:15pm. So, 800GPH during the day in the tank and 300GPh in the fuge. At night, only 200GPH in the tank and the same 300GPH in the fuge.

Is that my flow or circulation? Or both.

I think that means I have 300GPH flow through the tank 24/7 from the fuge. And during the day I have 800GPH of circulation--and it cuts back to 200GPH of circulation. Unless the fuge is considered part of the circulation too. In that case, I'd have 500GPH circulation during the night and 1100GPH circulation during the day.

All this math is making my head hurt. :frustrat:

I know it seams like a lot of flow or circulation. But those 2 larger powerheads are down low on the sides of the tank and they blow across the back--under and behind all the rocks that are stacked against the back wall. I didn't want stale water or detritus settling back there.

Got some reef dip incase I ever get another sick zoanthid colony.

WHEW!! I think I'm almost done buying hardware for my tank. I'm pretty sure I have it set up the way I like it now. Got my HOB fuge with a built in skimmer. Got plenty of circulation in the tank. Just need some more light. I've really been eyeballing those T5 units with 5 or 6 tubes. I might go ahead and buy one next week.

Now I got a used refugium and light to get rid of. :shock: Wish I'd bought right the first time. Cost me $200 for that light and refugium. And I ended up using them for like 2 months. Now I'm upgrading to better stuff.:grumble:

I guess my bucket-o-salt will be here next week. Thats the only thing that didn't arrive today on Fedex. I bought the 200g bucket of Oceanic. I wanted to mix a different type of salt in it, but can't remember what kind. We had a discussion here a couple weeks ago about mixing different salts. I'll have to do a search. Might be buying some more salt.

Count everything when calculating flow/circulation even the refugium.It sure sounds like you have plenty of flow.

I've never use Oceanic but others like Yote does.He likes it,good calcium from his prior statements.

Remember the dip is for coral/fish disease and illness prevention.

Okay, now sit back and enjoy the hobby.

Sounds good! I've used Oceanic and Kent Marine salts. Liked them both. But I liked Kent Marine slightly more, since it's finer and dissolves much easier.

Sounds like you got a good plan going Rc.
Was it Instant Ocean that you was going to mix Oceanic with?

I personally have never thought about mixing salt brands.Used Oceanic since I went reef and only have to dose calcium and alkalinity once a week.But thats because I have 13 colonies of SPS,2 SPS frags,and 1 LPS colonies.
So my stuff eats up the calcium and stuff pretty quick.

I'm not noticing any use of calcium. I went from 490 down to 470 in 2 weeks.

My alkalinity and pH are pretty steady.

I was thinking about mixing Oceanic with Instant Ocean Reef crystals. Probably don't even need to do that. I'm having great results so far with just Oceanic salt. I keep my salinity around 1.023

I did use Red Sea salt to do the initial setup on my tank and I wasn't too happy with it. Took like 3 days for it to finally dissolve completely. How do ya take salinity readings when all the salt isn't dissolved yet? I was :frustrat: for 3 days till it finally all dissolved.

I am buying an iodine test kit soon. I wanted to start checking that. I plan to have lots of mushrooms, ricordia, zoas and polyps in my tank. I think most of them will use iodine, so I gotta start testing for it soon. Salifert makes an iodine test kit for a low low price of only $32 friggin' dollars. grrrrrrrr :grumble: I have to admit, I'm spoiled with my Salifert kits. They are expensive, but I sure do like them. Never an issue when reading the color charts. Easy to use. Supposedly accurate-- but I wouldn't know because I have no other baseline to compare them too.

Wish my salt bucket would show up. I really need to change some water, but I refuse to pay $23 for a 50g jug-o-salt at the LFS. I paid only $40 for a 200g bucket from the 2 Docs. 4 times the product for only about 80% more in cost. I'm done buying dry goods from the LFS.

I'm "curing" some sand and a few pieces of rock rubble in a 24g rubbermaid bin. I'll add it to my 5.5g QT tank in a couple weeks. I may do a tank build thread on the nano.

Last edited:
I had the same experience with Red Sea salt. I never had anything bad to say about the parameters, but the particles are so large it takes it forever to dissolve.

Salifert test kits are the best. But they are super expensive, so I only have them for the MOST important parameters. I use Red Sea or API test kits for the rest.

i use oceanitc now becuse instant ocean had too many big particles in it.and i also keep my salinty at 23 to

You may not notice a big drop in calcium unless you start ading a lot of LPS and SPS corals.Coraline will use some,but not really that much.

I tested a fresh batch of Oceanic salt this morning.
Mixed at 35ppt or 1.026SG I got 500ppm of calcium on a DKH value of 10 and a PH of 8.2.
Alkalinity a little outta whack with the calcium,but nothing a little seachem reef builder wont take of.

Back