New Ricordeas

galonso52

Reefing newb
I just got a few new ridordeas:bounce::^: but they are not attached to any rock. What would be the best way to get them to stick to a rock. I have a peace of branch rock that I would really like to be on.

Whoa!!!! I've been chasing ricordias for a month now, I feel like a ricordia herder!! I gave up on one, it just goes where it wants too. I think the best success I've had getting a ricordia to attach was to place it on a small piece of rock in a calm area on the sand, and it sticks to that rock. Then move the rock to where you want to, they can still detach if they want to. It takes a few days for it to attach.

Put the ricordea in a shallow tray/container with some rubble and it will attach in a few days. Or like you said, a calm area of the sand. If it attaches to just one decent size piece of rock you can then glue it to a larger piece.

You can use super glue, or just cut the top off a water bottle, poke holes in it for circulation, throw some rock rubble in the bottom toss the shrooms in there and let it sit at the bottom of the tank for a week. Theyll pick a place and attach themselves.

EDIT: Bunch of quick typing ninjas up in here!

DO NOT get the super glue on the foot of the ricordea, it burns them real bad and then they oooze out all this slime and then they float around for days until they die......don't ask me how I know that, I just do;-)

Thanks guys I think I will use the coke bottle idea. I have them in a tupperware in a corner with very little flow. I am going to get a few coke bottles tomorrow and try it out. Good luck with yours Treadwater. I will post pics tomorrow when the lights come back on.

you can also take a small piece of netting, like the stuff they put onions in, and use it to gently secure it to your rock. don't tie to tightly. leave it attached for a few days in a low flow area.

They are one of my favorite corals! I have a 10 gallon tank dedicated to just ricordeas. I have 20+ different color morphs of them in there!!

I agree that the best technique is to put it in a tupperware container with rock rubble on the bottom. You don't want there to be any flow that's strong enough to blow it out. It can take upwards of a month to get them to attach. They are MUCH harder to work with than other mushrooms.

Cool pics. What about rotifers??? I give my tank rotifers twice a week after lights out for the corals and my sun coral.

I started growing my own rotifers a few weeks ago. I've fed them to the ricordeas a few times now. I mix them in with all the other foods in a cup. Since I don't have any filter or skimmer on my ricordea tank (just a powerhead), I use a turkey baster to target feed each polyp. This minimizes the crap that ends up getting wasted in the water.

I love ricordeas. I have had success using super glue to adhere them to plugs and rock rubble. I place them upside and use a paper towel to dry them off and them place a plug that I placed a couple of squirts of super glue onto upside down onto the ricordea's bottom. I usually blow on it for a few seconds and then place it into the tank. Don't think it never didn't work.

Thanks everyone. I just did the super glue process. I have had them in the tank for about 30 minutes glued and they are already opening back up and they have not moved. As always thank you for all the great opinions. I don't know what I would do with everyone on here.

Back