New set-up help

Adam Picard

Reefing newb
Hello,

So I am planning to start my first Salt Water tank this year but im trying to figure out where i can cut some funds from to make the overall process cheeper. I know Lighting, filtration, live rock, live sand, and a bigger tank over smaller tank is needed. so what parts can i try to cut back the costs on to help my with the overal starting fees?

Should I make my own stand or buy the cheaper metal ones over the fancy wood? (The tank will be in the mail area of my house so Fancy would be more prefered.)

Do I hunt down a used tank or go right for a new tank?

Adam

Used tanks are cheaper, but you need to make sure they dont leak. If you buy just a normal tank your going to have to buy/make a sump for it.
When you set the tank up you can cut prices by buying 2 or 3 live rocks and then the rest in dry rock. The live rock will seed the dry rock while you are cycling your tank. This applied with sand as well.
And all depending on the size of the tank and where it is going to be, i wouldn't use a metal stand. If you can, make one. It gives you a better feeling of accomplishment. Haha.
Do you know exactly what you are wanting in your tank? That can decide where else you can save on money. :)

Also forgot to mention, I see that alot of people are using sumps over i guess just a filter set-up? When I was in the pet store there display tanks were running on sumps but they wanted to sell me somesort of filter/pump box.

Whether or not you need a sump depends on what size the tank is. For small tanks it's not really needed but will be an advantage, and for big tanks it's pretty much required.

Whether or not you need a sump depends on what size the tank is. For small tanks it's not really needed but will be an advantage, and for big tanks it's pretty much required.

so what would the determining tank size be? I am currently looking at either a 55gal or a 65 gal.

i would just build my own stand once you get the tank.. wether the tank was new or found on craigslist.. when you build a stand just make enough room underneath for a sump/ refugium.. for a 65 i would put around a 20 gal which you can then put your heaters and skimmer underneath so not to be seen in your room.. and if you want to save a few dollars you could go with some dry rock with a small piece of liverock to help seed it... here is a good place to get some dry if you chose to go that way..MarcoRocks Aquarium Products - KeyLargo

There are some good videos on youtube about sump design. One that I remember was uploaded by limpets reef. I believe it was called Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1. You can also type in aquarium sump design in google. Hope this helps.

I got my 50-55 gallon tank off of craigs list. It seems to hold water fine. I just have to figure out what seems to be something like tape glue that doesn't seem to be coming off. Just need some wd 40 and I think I can get it to come off.

So I picked up my 65 gal tank last night off Kijiji for a sweet price will leak check it tonight and reseal if needed. The guy said he had it done 2 months ago but better safe then sorry to check it.

Also I have started Building my stand last night. But i dont think I accounted for a sump tank in the design so I may have to get a specialy made tank or find one that is thiner then a normal 20gal

Ok so I have my Stand, sump, and tank all ready to be put into action, I will be picking up my live rock tonight I hope. found some for $3.50 per/lbs. will also be adding about 10lbs of dead rock as a base to help save a little cash. will post pics once everything is running.

I could use some more info tho on lighting set-up tho.

What are the dimensions of your tank and are you thinking conventional light or LED? That can make a difference on what to go with. The guy from rapid LED said to go with the 48 LED kit they have for a 48" (4') tank and I am debating on getting one of those or going with some conventional lightly. I am thinking LED though.

Back