New Sump Build

dankolle

Reefing newb
I am needing to massively upgrade my sump from my old puny 15 gallon, to something around more 50 - 100 gallons I am thinking. My plan is to plumb through the wall and create a 'workshop' with multiple chambers for the sump. I am needing some experts on here to help me hash it out.

First, how much water should I put through the sump? I was thinking about getting a mag 18 for the return line as I will be pumping some distance. I could always dial it back with a ball valve.

Update: Text diagram didn't work....hopefully this image makes it clearer.

76020452.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like 1800gph? The only thing i would change is the ball valve to a gate valve it using it to control flow. Check out some of mrc sumps to get a good idea for flow and divert panels to not move your sand bed if that is your plan. Reeflo blowhole pumps have 3 different out puts on them for you throttle if you like

Its very hard to comment on the size of pump you need based on info you have here.

what is the size of dt?
Is it drilled? what is size/diameter of drain pipe?
Most importantly what is the vertical distance you are pushing the water (is the sump just underneath the tank or are you going up floors)? This will be significant as to size of pump you need. The Mag 18 has the following height GPH rating depending on net height you are moving the water.

1625 GPH @ 2', 1375 GPH @ 4', 1075 GPH @ 6, 1000 GPH @ 8, 875 GPH @ 10', 825 GPH @ 12', 700 GPH @ 14', 425GPH @ 16'

As for the sump design, is there any reason you need to have a separate rubble tank? If its for converting ammonia to nitrates - i think the live rock in your dt and a deep sandbed in your refugium would more than suffice. I have not seen a stable system have problems with ammonia - its exporting nitrates thats the challenge.

I would suggest having the skimmer at the start of the filtration cycle as the skimmer will take out nutrients in the water column before they even have a chance to break down. This will help with nitrate control a lot. I think the rubble tank in your design has the potential to be a nitrate factory.

I am assuming you have a very large dt such that you need a 30-50 gallon refugium for ntirate export. If not - you may want to think of one integrated sump using a bigger tank. They saves all the plubming/equipment from having to move water around from tank to tank. For example if you use a 4 ft tank as your sump - you can have 1.5 foot or so for the drain line/filter sock and skimmer in that chamber. Another 1.5 for the refugium and another 1 foot for the return pump/reactors etc...

with 1800 gph you want to built your plumbing so that it has a bleed line back to the tank to relief the pressure off the pump when its in closed mode.

I love overkill...I just ordered new lights as it was more pressing than filtration at this point. The huge sump upgrade will have to wait. The dream setup will be in the basement, but for now it is going to remain upstairs with the DT.

The DT is 150 gallons, with 3 fish (clown & mandarin), 2 stars, 1 shrimp, and about 10 anemones (split like crazy - very healthy, they just like to split).

noy - I am considering your plan with using the 55 as a multi-chamber deal until I can afford the dream setup. The whole reason I want a huge fuge is to breed a lot of pods for the mandarin. Had him about 2 years now without a fuge, but I love that fish and want to keep him happy.

My old 55 gallon would work well for that as it is 4 feet long, and I could split it into 3 chambers.

I need to replace my overflow and pumps for the new larger tank anyway, so I am looking for input for the best flow through the system. I have heard that 3 - 5x dt volume? I want the pods to be comfortable and able to breed without being washed away.

Back