new sump setup

Yiggins

Reefing newb
hi all new to posting on this forum,
so hello to you all

i would like your opinion and advice on how i wish to set my sump up as i have been looking at some ideas and would like to know what people think to it and also if i have got this very wrong
please see attached file

Attachments

• My sump setup.jpg
    My sump setup.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 6,603
I would change your design slightly, you should change the side you have you baffles on to slow the flow of the water and prevent micro bubbles before the refug area. If it were me I would also take out the mangroves as they require ALOT of maintenance and do not provide enough benefits to out weigh the maintenance imo. Also, I would take the bioballs out as the LR serves as your filtration media making the bioballs unnecessary. Put some chaeto or other kind of microalgae in with the LR and I'd say you're good to go.
Just my :twocents: but, the pic I've attached is how I'd do it (and very similar to the one I just finished building.) If you want you can check out my thread to see how mine looks as well some some other members posted their refugium designs in my thread as well.
Brian

Attachments

• refug.jpg
    refug.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,360
Also, I forgot on your pump return you should put a check valve in so if the power goes down the water in the line won't ruin your pump. As well as, a ball valve to regulate the amount of water going to your tank.

ty for the quick responce i'm in the process of drawing another pic with your alterations as i understand them
the only reason the valve is there is because thats how its shown on the setup picture, i thought it was alittle strange my self

yes its shown on the setup picture being on the return to the sump as its a regulator valve and not on the flow to the tank

Well I also have a valve going into my tank too, the way I've set it up, it is able to deliver way more water to my sump than I am returning to the DT. This way I can use both valves to make sure I have consistent flow going to and from both tanks

i think i need to buy a non return valve for the flow and add this into the system, power fails are not common where i live but just to be on the safe side
ty for the advice so far

do not put a ball valve on the drain line from the tank you want this lin fully open all the time as if it gets plugged your tank will over flow

James, and what if your drain line is sending more water to the sump then you are returning to the DT?

there is 1pipe thats got a valve and 1 without
the pipe that has the valve has no pipe in the weir and the 1 without the valve has a pipe in the weir that goes near to to weir overflow
there would never be any possible way for the tank to overflow unless the unvalved 1 got blocked too

Last edited:
James, and what if your drain line is sending more water to the sump then you are returning to the DT?

That wont happen unless your running an extremely high flow rate return pump.
The overflows will only drain equal to what the pump pushes back into the tank.

Back