New Sump Setup

Juiced19

Reefing newb
Okay i made my own sump. I have an overflow box going down into my sump. The water comes into my sump and then goes through a bubble trap. I have two 5 inch airstones to create my bubbling on the water inlet. Then i have my deep sand bed and live rock in the middle of my sump and then the return line. So water comes in goes through a bubble trap and into the deep sand bed and live rock and then goes into the return pump back into my tank. I have a hang on the back protien skimmer were the deep sand bed is and live rock. For some reason it wont skim protein in my sump but does just fine in my display tank? Why?

Here is a pic of my sump. The protien skimmer would be in the middle

Attachments

• IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,572
Does the pump sit just as low in the water in your sump as it did in your display? I'm guessing it doesn't and the water level is affecting your skimming.

I had to modify the skimmer so that when it is in the sump it will be below the water level because the motor has to be sumerged. In my 55 gallon it is about 3/4 the way down in the tank and it skims fine. It is about 3/4 the way down in my sump also.

Those skimmers are made to hang on a certain way, that modification you made is probably what is affecting it. Even though it sits 2/3 of the way down in your sump like it did in your 55g, I'm assuming the actual depth Of the motor is less now?

Back