New Sump

slm32123

Reefing newb
I went and picked up a brand new 20 gallon long tank yesterday. I need help with dimensions on the baffles. The tank is 29 1/4" long, and I need the refugium section to be at least 17" (my HOB skimmer is 15") because I don't want the skimmer to be too tight of a fit. so that leaves 12 1/4" for the first and last chambers, and the baffles.

I am guessing I should have about 3/4" in between each baffle, which takes off 4 1/2" total, including the 1/4" baffles as well. Which means there is now 7 3/4" total for the first and last chambers.

For the return chamber I am thinking it will be 5". And 2 3/4" for the overflow chamber.

However I have no idea on the dimensions to make the baffles. The tank is 11 3/4" from front to back (inside) so each baffle will have to be 11 3/4" x ?"

Here's a picture of what I was thinking so far.
104_0700.jpg

Last edited:
I used a 20L for my refugium and I'll let you know, you're going to want more than 5" for your return section. If that's all you have you might end up running your pump dry everyday without a ATO.

As far as your design goes, you should only have a bubble trap after the skimmer, you don't need that first one in there you're only taking up valuable space. The height you make the baffles will all depend on how much water your tank will overflow. Also, the center baffles IMO only need to be about 1" above the two next to it. If you make them all the way to the top and your power goes out, the tank will drain and it will fill that chamber to the very top of your tank before overflowing into the next section (and possibly over the side of the tank).

Hey Steve looking good, you could probably do without the first 2 baffles. listed the baffle dimensions below. Leave an 1/8" between each side of the baffle. Also space the baffles 1" apart, and space the middle baffle in the bubble trap to 1" off the bottom of the sump.

from right to left

11 1/4" x 8 1/2" ( you can do 9" too if you want)

11 1/4 x 8"

11 1/4" x 10"

11 1/4" x 7 1/2"

Last edited:
Back