New Tank Bulit ... 172 G

yeah, those are some top quality goodies i see in that pile...so you went with the radions? and you'll love your hanna checkers! just wish they had all the parameters we reefers need!

Hey Guys... i started filling the tank with RO/DI water today as i don't have a big container that can handle that amount of water .... then i will do the salt mix

after that i will add the sand and live rock ... i am sure that this will cause the water to be cloudy for a long time ... any recommendations ?

Most people add live rock sand then water. For a couple of reasons. 1 rock should be on the glass, our tank friends can move the sand around and cause a rock slide. Sand before water because of the cloudiness issue. If you cant find enough containers for your water then dont forget how much water displacement you will have. Could use a pvc pipe when pouring in the sand might help some on hte cloudiness. When are you adding salt to the water? You need to have it mix and run a power head for 12 to 24 hours before the Live rock can go in. I know it says can be used immediately on the bag but most of us have figure out thats bunk.

I am not sure what happend to my RO/DI unit ... it looks like i will go with the normal approach of sand, live rock then premixed water ... i hope it works

so what did you get for 1,200 .... i tried to avoid the radions as much as i could but in the end i gave in to the temptations :)

I got the 48 inch T5HO/Halide/LED combo made by AquaticLife. It's amazing. The only problem with radions is that if you have any decent sized tank you need a bunch of them, if my tank was small i would have just gotten one radion.

well i small weekend update ... i just finished my pluming and added sand ... next is rocks & saltwater ....

rps20121007_191144_243.jpg

i also have one small question should i use the pump filter sponge thingy ??? i am only afraid that i will restrict the pods going into the DT.

I ditched mine..the thought of pulling my pump once a week to clean it....not for me

well a lot of progress happened in the last few days :thumbsup: .... well i did adjust my sump to fit the skimmer and added abaft to act as a bubble trap as well....

some pics of progress

I added my sand and two lovely fishes first
little.jpg

after that i started mixing my instant ocean reef crystals
salt.jpg

well the mix did not go so well it was a lot of water and i dumped lots of salt and the result was milky water :(
milk.jpg

I added non-salted water to dilute the salt and started the sump for the first time i also added 2 temp mechanical filters to help reduce the cloudiness.. a couple of hours and this was the result
clrearing.jpg

i added my new skimmer to the custom stand i've made and started it up
firingupthesmimmer.jpg

then i installed the to MP40 to create flow and move debris on the tank
mp40.jpg

and then i installed 2 media reactor one for Carbon and another one for GFO but i still need to work on the hoses
reactors.jpg

I am expecting my live rock to arrive tomorrow after that i hope that i could complete the wood work and electrical and start using my apex .... then we wait for the cycle to finish (i already added Dr.Tims nitrifying bacteria but i will give it 2 weeks before adding the CUC)

awesome setup! eager to see more!

i just started a frag tank build and used dr. tims's one and only as well.

i'd be interested to see how your cycle goes. i am posting my nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia as things go along. i think my dry rock is obviously extending the typical shorter timeframe but things seem to be going pretty quickly, nonetheless.

will you be recording your results?

when will you be adding your rock?

Back