New Tank Idea

bfg112

Reefing newb
I just joined this site a week or so ago to do some research and start planning my first marine tank. I have a 37 gal left over from when I upgraded my south/central american cichlids to a new 5' 120 gal.

I want to start with the 37 to see how it goes, then consider upgrading down the road. My ideas so far are:
37 gal main tank (either have it drilled or get an overflow box)
10 gal sump to grow some algae and hold the skimmer and heater
MagDrive return pump (not sure of size yet)
3 inches live sand
start with 30ish pounds live rock and see how that looks
T5 lights
1 or 2 Hydor Koralia's (not sure of size)

for stocking I think I want to try:
a pair of clowns
a shrimp
blue hermit crab
emerald crab
maybe a star fish of some kind
soft corols...

Do you think I can make that work in a 37? Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

I was hoping to be able to add another fish or two. I hate when a tank looks empty, but I don't want to be overstocked.

Welcome to the site
sounds like a good start....,could probably add a royal gramma or wrasse for some more color too,or just get an angler:mrgreen:

I would reduce your sand bed to 1" or less. A 3" sandbed will take up a lot of space in the tank, and it's just deep enough to cause problems (too deep to easily keep clean). Less sand equals more space for rocks, corals and fish.

If you get some type of wrasse, make sure you have a tight fitting lid...they're jumpers. A coral beauty would be nice..add a nice touch of color..but if you plan on getting corals, they might nip at it. I love mine :D

Check out liveaquaria.com -- they have very informative stuff for each fish.

My 29G has a 360 gph pump and one Koralia 1 and the flow is fine. In a smaller tank like a 37 or 29 the Koralia's really stick out. Suggest you look at a smaller and less expensive powerhead.

Back