new tank upgrade

Aqua_man

The Fish Guy
hey guys I have my 30 gallon tank but I want to upgrade to a 55 gallon acrylic but how do I transfer my live rock and fish over to new without killing them.:question:

Get the additional dry rock you are going to need to get back to 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon.

Two days before you move them, i would make up about 20 gallons of new water and try and make that match as closely as possible to your old water. Get that up to temp the day of the move, and then put the fish in one bucket, corals and stuff in another.

Move over about half of your old water into the new tank, and then move the rock. Arrange as you wish, add the new dry rock so you have enough total rock. Move equipment move, move as much of the remaining water over as you can.

Then acclimated the fish and corals to the new tank water!

Voila! A new tank is born!

Well, its very messy doing it is the only issue.

I also forgot to add that i would leave it bare bottom for a few weeks and then add either new sand, or wash your old sand and then add that.

But do save a cup or two of the old stuff to jump start the new/washed sand bed

No, you should leave the rocks in. you want the rocks to be sitting on the glass bottom of the tank. The sand will shift and move overtime, so if your rocks are on top of the sand, they may become unsteady after awhile and fall causing epic, epic disaster.

Back