new tank water question...

tampafishguy

cyano happens...
i am starting a new tank. what is the best way to set up the water? i only have access to city tap :/ im a noob, so i need answers to be fairly basic.

well best is once you get the tank and all u want live rock and then u mix the salt water in and you have to let it settle for couple weeks sometimes a month just all depends. You are going to need to buy testers to test the water ammonia, nitrates PH ect. once amonia is 0 and nitrate is low you can start putting fish in but that can stress the fish and kill them. PH is always good and if your going to add Coral its more to do. Got to know what u want to do. But best you will need to let the water settle with liverock for a bit until everything is low. When i did mine i didnt have any light on it or anything just filter heater running..didnt turn my light on until i added fish

Ok you can go to "mostly" any fish store and buy RO/di water. That would be your best solution! I'm on my i pad and it's hard to copy links. Look up how to start and cycle a tank!!

And DO NOT RUSH!!!! That will be your first mistake....

Yea dont rush give it time in the begining it will take time for the fish tank to settle and all. Rather have healthy fish then not being healthy then ur just wasting money

RO/DI>>>reverse osmosis/deionized

A high end filtration system. They seem to run about $150 or so for one in your house. My local fish store sells it, but payback on buying your own wouldn't take terribly long.

using tap water will give you high phosphates and other nutrients that will cuase bad algae growth issues.

I would do as said. Buy RO/DI water from your lfs

buy a salinity tester like a refractometer,
buy API saltwater master test kit.
buy instant ocean salt mix or whatever salt that is aquarium safe. (not table salt)

get a trash can or appropriate size bucket fill with RODI water add salt based on amount of gallons your holding container is mix it around run your circulation pumps test the salinity with the refractometer should be 1.024 - 1.026 (should be done once the water is mixed well.)

pour the water in the tank.

Last edited:
Back