New tank

I've heard the water in vancouver, B.C is incredibly pure with TDS sometimes at 10ppm. You might very well be able to use Tap with a dechlorinator or let it sit for 3 days so chlorine evaporates. Before spending money on RODI you might want to check with your local reefers if they have done this.

Yeah I spoke to couple of the local fish store and they said the tap water is good to go after adding a conditioner to it. I am gonna see how it evolves in a month or two to get proper idea.

On another note I returned the 950 power head and got two 550 korila's...hopefully this will give better flow to the water..

So the live rock and deep send is doing pretty well. I currently have 25 lbs of liverock..thinking of adding 5-10 more lbs....

I am gonna be adding a skimmer soon....or if I don't and just do a 20% every two weeks will I be fine?

I already have a HOB filter which I think will be pretty much useless after live rock is established. Can I replace the media in the filter and put in some live rock in there? Or just return it?

I keep a hang on powerfilter on my tank all the time. Most of the time I run it empty just giving the tank more flow and providing a nice ripple on the surface. When I want to "polish" the water its easy to just add a carbon pack in it. If you keep it on the tank get rid of any bio stuff in it.

Adding some rock into the filter is a good idea. If nothing else, it can provide some extra flow to your tank. It's handy to keep in case you have to run carbon or other media like ChemiPure once in a while.

Well it's day 18 and I have added a yellow tail damsel.

Let's see how she does clean up crew has been doing well since I added them couple of days ago...

How long should she be in here before I add a pair of clown? 2 weeks?

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwMjEyLTAwMDY2LmpwZw.jpg

so i had changed 10% water last Wednesday...now that i have added a new fish and CUC should i do the water change tomorrow or not?

or should I wait till Sunday? I added almost 1 gallon of distilled water in place of the evaporated water yesterday.

Plus all the acclimation I did took away at lest 1.5 gallons of water.

Right now I think I can add 5 more gallons of aged saltwater...please advise.

Thanks

Try and do you water changes on a set schedule. The more consistent you are with the tank the less problems and better coral growth you will get.

Could be diatoms. Post a couple of pics we could tell you what it is. Also as the forum unwritten rule states. If you add livestock and dont show pics it didnt happen...:mrgreen:

Yup all that is diatoms, it will go away on its own as long as you arent feeding it with tap water. Clowns look good. Congratulations you have a saltwater fish tank...:bounce:

So what will I do when I add all this to a 90 gallon tank? Basically the water volume in this is 30 and the new tank will be 120 gallons including sump....these fishes will survive the change right?

They should, have a bottle of prime on hand encase you get a ammonia spike. I always have prime in the house.

Back