New to corals

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
Just got my first coral, a sun coral, and it's opened up within days, Im so excited on this.

Does anyone know of a good link to any articles or vids for corals for beginners or dummies?

I dont have any links, but if your new to corals, im going to ask, do you know how to look after a sun coral?

They dont need any lighting, and do not like extremely high lighting, they will open up for food and you should get a syringe and fill it with food for them and feed them directly when the coral opens up. I found mine opened up when it sensed food in the water around it. It can be useful to put a bottle over the top in order to stop the flow kicking the food out of its mouth and to also stop fish from stealing it. They are one of the more involved corals requiring feeding every couple of days because they cant get nutrients from the light, not the best beginner coral but still a very nice one.

I recently lost a battle with my sun coral. It was absolutely beautiful, but you have to feed every single polyp, they do not share food with each other. I would recommend removing the coral from your tank and into a quarantine tank when your feeding it. If you can't do that make sure you turn off all of the power heads and let your tank sit for 5 minutes or so. Get some meaty juice and squirt it on the polyps and then wait for them to open. Once open you can inject some mysis or similar into their arms.

Be very careful not to overfeed this coral because it will pollute your tank in a matter of weeks. Good luck!

Melevsreef.com - Suncoral

I recently lost a battle with my sun coral. It was absolutely beautiful, but you have to feed every single polyp, they do not share food with each other. I would recommend removing the coral from your tank and into a quarantine tank when your feeding it. If you can't do that make sure you turn off all of the power heads and let your tank sit for 5 minutes or so. Get some meaty juice and squirt it on the polyps and then wait for them to open. Once open you can inject some mysis or similar into their arms.

Be very careful not to overfeed this coral because it will pollute your tank in a matter of weeks. Good luck!

Melevsreef.com - Suncoral

A lot of corals require to turn off flow for 5 or 10 mins so you can feed them without the food floating away. Do NOT forget to turn the flow back on. Use a turkey baster to get the food right in the coral mouth. I'm going to buy and try a long glass pipette for this.

Not that I know of...I always made sure to check my normal levels. They do not like it if ammonia or nitrates get out of wack, they tend to not open up for you when they are sick. I always made sure it was placed where I can easily feed all sides of the corals.

Watch your other fish, they love to grab food directly out of the mouths of the polyps. I also fed mine huge chunks of squid purchased from the grocery store...it loved them!

I hope you did better than I did, it went down hill when I started "polluting" the tank with meaty foods that were not fully processed by the coral and I stopped feeding so much to cut down on the decay which lead to the coral not eating enough and eventually dieing.

On a side note, I dove in Bonaire and there were millions of sun corals growing everywhere on Klein. They were not under rocks or anything, just right out in the open it was beautiful!

Back