new to corals

rems

Reefing newb
I am not sure if this should be in corals or new to reefing.... I have had a stable FOWLR tank for about 3 months now. I have had 2 clowns in there for almost a month. Am I ready to get corals? I have been researching online the different types of beginner corals. What do you think about leather corals, anthelia, or xenia? :sfish:

What about an anenome?

Wait on the nem. They require a mature/stable tank. Give it another 6-8 months. Lots of time to research and ask questions. Xenia and such are pretty if kept in check. They can grow and spread fast and become a pain. Just keep up on it and you'll be fine. As for other easy corals...shrooms,zoas/palys,green star polyps,etc... lots of "easy"corals out there. its a personal preference thing.

Well I have light where I can add more light and that's what I am planning to do. For now I just have a standard white and blue light. But as soon as I decide on which corals I want I am going to buy more light.

Yes I keep reading on how xenia are like "weeds", not sure if I want to start out with that.would you recommend a toadstool mushroom leather coral? Or something else?

It is beautiful. Will the leather coral and xenia get along?
Do you have a starter book on corals you would recommend?

Yes they will be fine, just give them room. Honestly, i put my red bubble tip anenome in my tank after 2 months. I think it is the quality of anenome you get. If you buy them with the live rock, chances are they wont move and will be a perfect fit for your tank. Also cant lie, i spent 130 on the rba. Going on 3 months and is happy as an anenome could be. I bought my tank used with live rock, so take that into consideration too. Best of luck, the fun now begins!

Yes they will be fine, just give them room.
+1

as for book, the best one i have on corals is (hands down):
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural/dp/1890087475/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363138961&sr=8-1&keywords=aquarium+corals+by+eric+borneman]Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History: Eric H. Borneman, Scott W. Michael, Janine Cairns-Michael: 9781890087470: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

its very detailed but as you get more sophisticated in coral husbandry it will come in very handy, especiallly as you get into more challenging corals.

If you want a general book on reef aquariums in general this is very good
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Vol-Science-Technology/dp/1883693144/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363139267&sr=1-1&keywords=julian+sprung+reef+aquarium]The Reef Aquarium, Vol. 3: Science, Art, and Technology: Julian Sprung, J. Charles Delbeek: 9781883693145: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I have both and refer to them quite often

Anything will live with Xenia...up until the Xenia overgrows them....I had a real issue getting the Xenia under control and I finally figured out how to get rid of it entirely....

I got my water really really clean and it all died off.....

Back