New to everything Salt Water! haha

ah, I figured it would take a very large tank to do some sort of shark. I also figured they wouldn't work with a reef tank, I was thinking because they always seem to be "cruising" around so it would take more of an open tank. Thanks for answering my dumb question, I'm sure there will be more to come :D

Hey, ok some more questions for you all.

In the picture on page one of the tank I will be picking up tomorrow. What are the long things sticking up? Are they alive at all or just for decoration?

Also with this tank how would you set it up? Should I do the reef tall along one side and leave the other side more open with smaller rock areas but mostly sand? Or build the reef all along the back? Or what?

I was also wondering about rock, does it need to be a certain type of rock? We have some volcanic rock outcropping near here, that is light, full of holes and small caves and I think it would look pretty cool to use to build some reef with. If I boiled it or cleaned it up real well would it be ok to use?

The long things sticking up appear to be branches of dead coral -- so now, it's basically live rock. You can arrange them however you like; they will act just as live rock.

I actually like the appearance of two small islands, with a sandy passage way in between them. That leaves you plenty of space to place corals that need to be on the sand, and gives the fish something interesting to swim around and explore.

Don't use volcanic rock -- it's usually loaded with heavy metals, which will leach out into your tank. You need to use calcium based rock only -- rock that originated in the ocean.

The long things sticking up appear to be branches of dead coral -- so now, it's basically live rock. You can arrange them however you like; they will act just as live rock.

I actually like the appearance of two small islands, with a sandy passage way in between them. That leaves you plenty of space to place corals that need to be on the sand, and gives the fish something interesting to swim around and explore.

Don't use volcanic rock -- it's usually loaded with heavy metals, which will leach out into your tank. You need to use calcium based rock only -- rock that originated in the ocean.

Ok I wanted to seperate your comments when I quoted but not sure how to do that...it just quoted the whole thing...
Anyway...
Great, I think that the old corral will come in handy and arrange pretty neatly, and the two islands will look nice I think.

And thanks for the info on the volcanic rock, I will stay away from it, was just a thought, glad I asked now!

I really dont want to mess this up before I ever get it going!

Everyone else seems to have you covered, just wanted to say welcome and you are going to love this! Take your time it will all pay off in the end!

Oh, I've been reading about test kits. Is there a good test kit that will cover most everything that I can get instead of getting several individual kits?

No, you will have to buy each parameter's test kit individually, unfortunately. The basics you'll need to start are pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will also need a refractometer for salinity (don't get a cheapo hydrometer, they need to be replaced every 6 months and are highly inaccurate. Plus, you can get a refractometer for $30 to $40). You will also need a thermometer.

API is a good low-priced test kit brand. Salifert test kits are easier to use, and more accurate, but more expensive. Those are the two brands I'd recommend.

You can get an API master saltwater kit.It will have pH,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate test kitsYou will still have to do all four test separately.The test strips are basically junk so don't buy those.

The first book I picked up was "Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies" too! It is actually quite a good reference. It gives you all the possibilities available so that you can research each one that interests you.
I read all about canister filters, and thought that was the way to go...then I came on this forum, read what others were doing, checked out vids on Youtube, and now I have built my own sump/refugium - it seems to be the "industry favorite".

I am very new to this as well. I am only a few steps away from setting up my 60gal. I would love to do it tomorrow, but $$ is a factor and I'm fighting the urge not to rush into anything and mess it all up! -- Just like Smitty said...take your time, ask questions, and learn from others unfortunate mistakes.

Welcome to the reef!

So I picked up the tank today...But turns out we may be moving in a month or so, new development. So I dont want to set it all up only to tear it down and move it. So I'm debating on storing it until we move, or setting it up at my Dad's office and leaving it there until were all settled into our new place. So I brought it home, washed the sand real good with fresh water, and its drying out now. The live rock also didn't look very colorful at all so I don't think there was much live stuff... And with the move, I decided to rinse it off as well, and I'll buy some live rock to seed what I have when I set it up. I cleaned the tank, but will do some more cleaning of every thing tomorrow as I have the day off. Then decide wether or not to set it up at my Dad's or wait.

Oh I also did the copper test, and no copper!

Last edited:
Thanks for that article it gave me lots of good info.

I must admit as I've been planning the set up and everything I'm feeling overwhelmed! I'm also at the end of my budget for another couple weeks until pay day, and I still need a few things. I've been debating setting this up as a fresh water tank for the time being at my Dad's office and then once were all set in our new place and I've saved enough to make the rest of my purchases (lights, do a sump, liverock are the big things) then give those fish to my brother and do it as a reef tank at my place...

I want to do a reef tank but funds are limiting me right now, :grumble: and I want to get the tank set up as something instead of just having it sitting in storage.

I just dont know....:frustrat:

Back