new to forum

little fishee

Reefing newb
Hello,

I am new to The forum and have a question to ask. I am moving and have a 180 gallon saltwater non-reef tank. I am moving to an area of upstate new york that only has well water, can you kepp a salt water tank using well water and if so what if any precautions do we need to take to make sure our fish are OK. If not I am going to have to part with my fish, this will make me very sad and I do not even know who I would give them to, to trust to take care of them. We have them for a long time now and I am very attached. Any advice woud be so appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the site!

I think someone here has been using well water (but they also have algae problems, I think). I, personally, would never use water that hasn't been put through an rodi. But that's me. I don't want to risk starting a tank with bad water, only to have to drain it again.

Hello and welcome...they have you covered. You can purchase a ro water unit for your house, and make your own water...or else, purchase ro water from a lfs (some walmarts and grocery stores sell it also). Good luck with the move.

I use well water for my 180, but it goes through a 6 stage RO/DI. You might be able to get away with out a filtration unit, but you'd have to pull a sample of the water and have it tested to be sure.

You should be running RO/DI anyway, and if you use that, it doesnt really matter if the source water is tap or well

Thanks to all, now I need to see if the weight of the tank will not be to much for the floor to handle, I have the tank now in my house that is a ranch one level, the new house has a basment so I may need to put support beams in the ceiling? If that will not work I may need to get rid of my fish, and this will be hard for me since I do not want to give them to just anyone. I live in NY on long island is anyone from around here, If I need to find a home for them any takers?

Is the basement not finished? I love having my tank in the basement. Even if it gets flooded, there are no floors below to damage :D

if the basement isnt finished just run a couple more joists attached to the exsisting joists where your putting the tank, quick and easy fix..

Thanks for all your replys. Will see this weekend if the tank can come with us or not. I think I asked this, but if I can not take the tank with us, would anyone be interested in some more fish. Just want a good home for them, I live in new york on long island is anyone local?

Back