New to Forums: Question about lights

jbravo

Reefing newb
First-time poster here, so please bear with me. Have bought a 125 gallon tank and am researching lights. I am not terribly cost sensitive, so I thought the following is everything I need - and probably more. I'd need a 72" setup:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+21460&pcatid=21460&s=hl

A few questions:

1. Anyone have a bad experience with this product? I have heard that the control board in it goes bad.
2. My understanding is that this isn't the most powerful lighting system, so am concerned that it will not support corals. Is that true ?
3. Has anyone had a good experience with another product? If so, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Many thanks.

Welsome aboard!!

Not sure about those lights, I haven't used them or heard anything about them.

I orginally went with a 4 bulb HO T-5 light and found it wasn't enough light for many of the Corals I was looking at. To save money I wish I would have went with with 6 bulb or LEDs from the start.

agree with Erin...if you are wanting to do LPS corals like zoanthids, mushrooms, Duncans, frogspawn etc

just know that that light is only going to provide about 3 watts per gallon which is pretty low for a saltwater tank, might want to look at a 6 bulb

If you decide to go LED , the watt/gallon rule no longer applies. At that point you have to focus on PAR/PUR values.

Just a heads up. I would hate to see you toss 500 watts of LED's on a tank and melt your neighbors house.

I bought the Evergrow IT2080 on a Group Buy. It's the same as the reefbreeders Photon 32. 99 LED's :love:... Main reason I went with the larger is for the cost I could upgrade to 4ft tank and use the same lights. Pay a little more now.....but saving money down the road. Nothing like looking ahead to a bigger tank......:D

Back