New to hobby please help

ajay

Reefing newb
I am completely new to salt water aquariums. I have had many fresh water aquariums in the past and would now like to get into salt water. I am extremely confused on where to start. I am looking to get a 55 gallon tank and would like to house clown fish and maybe a yellow tang. I would also like some very simple coral like mushrooms and other easy beginner corals. I am confused on alot of things for example live rock vs. dry rock i don't understand the difference, what a protein skimmer is and do i need one, etc.. My biggest concern is the filtration system, i don't understand how it works for salt water. I keep seeing threads about sumps but i feel like that is a ton of work and could get very annoying. I would like to slowly start into this hobby so i can learn and progress, and also i would not like to drop a lot of money because my budget is limited to an extent. Thank you.

Welcome! The members here are very helpful. Unfortunately, I think a 55 is too small for a yellow tang. Live rock is rock that has live bacteria growing on it. All rock will eventually become live. I would suggest you buy a protein skimmer. It will take out all the gunk at the surface of the water. You shouldn't keep a canister filter, that will just be a nitrate factory. I learned that the hard way. Although a sump isn't really needed, it could help out by adding more water volume to your tank and hiding equipment.

Hey Ajay, welcome to the forum.

Don't worry, I was in the same position just over a week ago, and I feel I know so much already! ;)

It's a lot simpler than it looks. When you look at sumps, they are very intimidating, but it's not too bad. I'm quite the novice so I'll try break down some of the things you're asking in the shortest and simplest way, but if you wish to know more, then the more experienced posters will gladly help you out.

Live rock - *Wiki quote* :

Live rock is rock from the ocean that has been introduced into a saltwater aquarium. Along with live sand, it confers to the closed marine system multiple benefits desired by the saltwater aquarium hobbyist. The name sometimes leads to misunderstandings, as the "live rock" itself is not actually alive, but is made simply from the aragonite skeletons of long dead corals, or other calcareous organisms, which in the ocean form the majority of coral reefs. When taken from the ocean it is usually encrusted with coralline algae and inhabited by a multitude of marine organisms. The many forms of micro and macroscopic marine life that live on and inside of the rock, which acts as an ideal habitat, give it the name "live rock".
Dry rock is the same, except it inhibits absolutely no life. It contains no life forms living amongst it and has no coralline algae. Dry rock is usually quite a bit cheaper as it usually takes a while for it to become 'live rock' as it has to go through the process of growing coralline algae etc etc.

Protein Skimmer - A protein skimmer usually takes out the guck in the water that you may not usually see. Think about it like this, the little aerator's you have in a freshwater tank are rapidly bubbling into this cup and popping where it then releasing any dirt that's within the water into it. From there, it's just a simple process of when it's got a fair amount of rubbish in it, you just have to take the cup off and clean it. It's a very beneficial piece of kit if you're planning on having a big tank.

Sump - Think of a sump as a normal 10 gallon rectangle tank. In between that empty tank are two peices of acrylic separating the tank into three compartments. Depending on how yours is set up, in the first compartment, you may have your protein skimmer inside it, in the next one, your refugium may have some 'live rock' and your last compartment will be where your water shall be pumped back into the tank.

In Saltwater aquariums, it's not like the bio-mechanical filtration where sponges are used. Reason being because of the nitrates you build up - you don't want them in saltwater tanks. Your main source of filtration is your 'live rock'. That is your natural filtration system. The sump is simply the extra piece, which I like to call it, to assure you can get a protein skimmer running and add a few extra's which may supplement the tank.

My definition's of these are very novice like, but it may help you understand as we're probably near the same page, but the much more experienced posters can give you a much better idea of what all these things do.

If you do require some help, be sure to check out my thread I made. The guys there added some great advice for myself and I'm nearly on my way to getting my tank up and running.

https://www.livingreefs.com/complete-newbie-needs-way-start-t45507.html

Last edited:
Hey Ajay, welcome to the forum.

Don't worry, I was in the same position just over a week ago, and I feel I know so much already! ;)

It's a lot simpler than it looks. When you look at sumps, they are very intimidating, but it's not too bad. I'm quite the novice so I'll try break down some of the things you're asking in the shortest and simplest way, but if you wish to know more, then the more experienced posters will gladly help you out.

Live rock - *Wiki quote* :

Dry rock is the same, except it inhibits absolutely no life. It contains no life forms living amongst it and has no coralline algae. Dry rock is usually quite a bit cheaper as it usually takes a while for it to become 'live rock' as it has to go through the process of growing coralline algae etc etc.

Protein Skimmer - A protein skimmer usually takes out the guck in the water that you may not usually see. Think about it like this, the little aerator's you have in a freshwater tank are rapidly bubbling into this cup and popping where it then releasing any dirt that's within the water into it. From there, it's just a simple process of when it's got a fair amount of rubbish in it, you just have to take the cup off and clean it. It's a very beneficial piece of kit if you're planning on having a big tank.

Sump - Think of a sump as a normal 10 gallon rectangle tank. In between that empty tank are two peices of acrylic separating the tank into three separate compartments. Depending on how yours is set up, in the first compartment, you may have your protein skimmer inside it, in the next one, your refugium may have some 'live rock' and your last compartment will be where your water shall be pumped back into the tank.

In Saltwater aquariums, it's not like the bio-mechanical filtration where sponges are used. Reason being because of the nitrates you build up - you don't want them in saltwater tanks. Your main source of filtration is your 'live rock'. That is your natural filtration system. The sump is simply the extra piece, which I like to call it, to assure you can get a protein skimmer running and add a few extra's which may supplement the tank.

My definition's of these are very novice like, but it may help you understand as we're probably near the same page, but the much more experienced posters can give you a much better idea of what all these things do.

If you do require some help, be sure to check out my thread I made. The guys there added some great advice for myself and I'm nearly on my way to getting my tank up and running.

https://www.livingreefs.com/complete-newbie-needs-way-start-t45507.html

Thank you so much! Now i am curious and just wanna verify things. I basically want my tank to have clowns and a few soft corals. So basically i will need live rock and a protein skimmer for filtration? I dont want to get caught up with a sump because i dont have alot of room.

Welcome to this site, my suggestion would be to look at some tank threads. Sumps are no where as confusing or scary as people first think (me included) There are many different options on the type of equipment to use as well. I have done my build on a budget look through it and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

+1 everyone, and a 55 is definitely too small for a tang. Got for a 75 or even a 90. In other words, get the largest tank you can fit in your home and budget. Check out liveaquaria.com to see what a fish's tank requirements are so you get a better idea what to aim for. I purposefully upgraded from a 45g to a 125g just so I could get the fish i wanted ;)

Back