new to it all

reefrookie42

Reefing newb
Greetings!
I am new to the forum and new to reef tanks. I have a 37 gallon fresh that I have had going for a year that I feel most comfortable with. My new 29 gallon reef has one Gorgonian coral (it came attached to my live rock), live rock, and 4 new azure damsels just added yesterday. Everyone is holding steady and I am enjoying my new additions immensely. I will be checking in regularly!!:sfish:

Welcome to the site. How long have you had your reef tank set up? I noticed you have already added fish, did your tank cycle properly?

Hello and Welcome!

I would highly suggest you return a few of those fish. Even if your tank is already cycled, adding that much bioload at once can cause it to recycle. Only add one fish every three weeks.

Hi and welcome! I agree with Little_Fish -- it's not a good idea to add that many fish at one time to such a small tank. Your population of bacteria that you have on your rocks and in your sand likely cannot handle the input of that amount of waste, and there's a good chance you're going to see ammonia and nitrites spike, which will harm or kill your fish. Even if they do survive a new cycle, they are very territorial and will likely start killing each other off one by one. I'd take them back to the store.

Thanks for all of the advice. You have all been very helpful. I will keep you posted.
No Parrotchute I am not from MA, just a huge fan. :D. Will check in again soon.

Welcome to the site :)

+1 to everyone above though, damsels are very agressive and territorial

Back