New to LR and hello from AK

alaska clowns

Reef Mommy
Hello! My name is Jessica and I have joined hoping to to get some information that will help me set up a sump that incorporates an ATS under a used 55 gallon aquarium that I bought Nov. 2009. The tank was 5 years old when I bought it, and had been neglected a little. Unfortunately, I believe that the aquarium's three inhabitants have a case of marine ich; they're doing fine for now, but I'm trying to figure out a workable solution to eradicate the parasite from the tank (just haven't figured out how to go fishless for 6 weeks). My ultimate goal is to have a healthy 55 gallon tank into which I can put the inhabitants of my 26 gallon tank -- I only have time for ONE tank!

I look forward to receiving input from more experienced reefers..............and perhaps being able to give input as well! Thanks!

welcome to the site. So you are changing from a 26 to a 55 and the 55 has ick huh? Well if it was me what I would do is make the 26 into a hospital tank. Nothing in it but a sponge filter or hob filter. Put all the fish into it and medicate them with a copper based med (if everything is ok with this) then i would run the 55 fishless for 6 weeks that should get rid of the ick in the 55. Once the 6 weeks is over you can get the fish into the 55 and tear down the 26. I would store the 26 in a closet for a quick hospital tank if you ever need one again. Oh ya put some pvc pipe or flower pots in the hospital tank so the fish have some hiding spots. Thats what I would do:twocents:

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. I agree with Ted 100%, isolate the fish in the 26gal and update the 55gal while the fish are recovering. The ich parisite will all die off inside the 55 within 6weeks as long as there are no fish in there to host it. The copper in the 26gal will kill the ich and eggs within 6weeks.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your problems associated with your tank. You say the tank has been neglected? Lack of water changes? Are you using ro water for water changes?

As far as your parasites it sounds like above advice has got you covered.

Thank you all for the welcome!!

I know I need to quarantine, but I don't want to medicate the fish that I have in the 26 because they are completely healthy. I tried to set up a 10 gallon QT this week with a HOB filter that I had seeded in the 26 for 2 weeks; however after letting that 10 gallon run for a couple of days with NO bioload in it, it started showing ammonia on the alert badge! So I was afraid that if I put my three "ich" fish in there, I would have a hard time keeping the params. stable while dosing cupramine. And I was secretly hoping that maybe the fish had something other than ich since they haven't had spots for a couple weeks- but I know that's just denial :)

you just need to keep doing water changes to keep things stable but you need to treat all your fish or it will do no good

Back