new to marine aquaria.

rigler mj

Reefing newb
hi guys n girls, my name is martin living in the UK and I am new to marine aquaria. I must say I am a little spooked at how complicated it all is but excited at the same time. I currently have a 240 ltr set up that's been running for 5 months now that contains 7 green chromis, 1 yellow tailed blue damsel 1 peacock wrasse, mixture of 15 hermit craps and 12 turbo snails.I am wanting to slowly add corals, but at the moment the substrate is partially covered in what seems like a purple coloured slime, which has been there for several weeks now, any ideas as to what it is and how to get rid. I am extremely interested to see what you have to say, cheers guys.

Welcome to the site!
It sounds like it may be cyno, we are going to need to have some more info; How often you feed? Are you using RODI water or tap? And water test readings. The best way to get rid of it would be to suction it out while you are doing water changes. This is just the beginning, it is caused by excess nutrients in the water, thus the reason for the above info! :D There are a lot of issues that we see here on LR I would suggest you search through the Algae section for what others have done.Algae

Hello and Welcome

+1 everyone

Another cause of the cyano is adding lots of fish really fast, which i think is part of your issue. I would suggest sucking it out with every water change while we try and identify where all the nutrients the cyano is growing on is coming from.

Welcome to the site!
It sounds like it may be cyno, we are going to need to have some more info; How often you feed? Are you using RODI water or tap? And water test readings. The best way to get rid of it would be to suction it out while you are doing water changes. This is just the beginning, it is caused by excess nutrients in the water, thus the reason for the above info! :D There are a lot of issues that we see here on LR I would suggest you search through the Algae section for what others have done.Algae

hi thanks for advice, I do 40-50 ltr w/c each week using RO, ammonia, nitrite, phosphate, readings are zero, nitrate's at 40 ppm, having a real problem reducing it!, SG 1.025, KH is 8.5 alkalinity is 3.08, magnesium is 1410 ppm and calcium's at 440 ppm. temp is 26, I feed the fish twice daily using frozen marine mix only 1 cube per day I feel that's not to much. oh by the way thanks 4 welcome .

Back