New-to-me fish said to have ich

Ange

Reefing newb
I bought a 75 gallon tank set up last week from someone on Craig's List. I also got a 30 gallon qt in the deal. The previous owner said that the powder blue tank had recently been bought and had ich. He had all of the fish (6) in the qt and had treated it with copper. All of the fish are doing great, but I am wondering how long I should leave the fish there before moving them back to the big tank? The big tank is running fine, the urchin, shrimp and sand sifter there are all doing well. I brought home about 35 or 40 gallons of the water that was in the tank, and filled with new once I had it set up at my home.

If you are quarantining all the fish, you will need to keep them quarantined and medicated for at least 4 weeks. The main tank needs to stay fishless during that period so that any ich in the tank will die off as well (ich has to have a fish host to survive). Some people even advocate doing this for 6 to 8 weeks. How long have they been quarantined for already?

Powder blue tangs are pretty difficult fish to keep. They are very susceptible to illness (especially ich). Keep in mind that a lot of their illnesses can stem from improper nutrition -- so make sure you're feeding the tang lots of veggies such as dried seaweed sheets and frozen foods like Emerald Entree.

When I got the tank, the guy told me to leave them in qt another week. I've done that, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I have no problem leaving them a while longer. They all are getting along fine in the qt, eating well, no fighting going on. I have all sort of food and they are getting fed three times a day right now. I do have dried seaweed, along with frozen Mysis Shrimp, the Emerald Entree and another frozen for the Angels.

Oh, and some flake food and pellet food. They all love the Mysis Shrimp, including the urchin and the other shrimp.

Now would be a good time to stop feeding the flakes and pellets. Those can lead to algae problems and poor water quality since they usually contain a lot of preservatives. Just stick with frozen foods -- that will make things easier down the road!

Also, it's good to get into the habit of soaking the food in garlic extract and vitamins prior to feeding. This will help boost their immune systems and keep them healthy. You can make garlic extract yourself (just dilute down the oil that remains after pressing garlic), or you can find it at health/nutrition stores and pet stores. The garlic is also an appetite stimulant that will get them to eat more. I like to use the vitamin brand Selcon.

Last edited:
I would also keep an eye on the parameters of the tank. It is possible that when you move a tank, you set off a mini cycle because of all the crud you kick up.

NH3 Ammonia
NO2 Nitrites
NO3 Nitrates

Just something to keep in mind.

SOunds like you are headed in the right track though

I did get vitamins and garlic with everything else. I am perfectly fine with dropping the flakes and pellets, the get eaten but don't seem to be enjoyed as much.

I got some testing supplies, nitrates, nitrites, pH and ammonia. Everything has tested well to this point. Each one is in an individual box, but only a couple have testing tubes. I have been washing them very well in fresh water prior to each use and drying them out.

Back