New to reefing and LED power

charlesp123

charlesp123
Hello all,
I am wanting to put LED lighting in my 30 gallon breeder tank that is 12" tall x 36" x 18". When I purchased my whole setup I just went to my LFS and had them piece it together for me.... Got raped on everything. They gave me the 36" Coralife T5 high output dual lamp (which I paid $160 for). Now I am wanting to build a LED lighting system so that I can alter the lighting throughout the day. I have some experience in LED lighting, but as far as the amount of power or PAR that is going into the tank is a little confusing to me. If anyone knows how strong/how many/how high of LEDs I need to grow SPS in my tank I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks everyone

By the time you spend with putting together one, youll spend more than just buying out right. Check out kessil leds, one single light that is controlable and proven to grow some coral. Lights are the biggest investment in growing coral, alot depends on lighting dont skimp. Good luck.

I checked out those kessil leds and they seemed really nice. I just like to build things and know everything in and out about it. Do you know what power and quantity of LED lights one would need for a tank 12" tall and 36" long, to grow SPS?

It all depends on what leds you go with, the degree of the lense, if you can dim them? Getting them to be water resistant, heat sink, controller, power supply, proper spacing seems like a headache to me and getting them right the first time? Check out rapid led and they will give you a "kit" to build that will work with your set up.

I checked out those kessil leds and they seemed really nice. I just like to build things and know everything in and out about it. Do you know what power and quantity of LED lights one would need for a tank 12" tall and 36" long, to grow SPS?

Charles,

Make sure you check out the DIY section on here too. There are several guys out there that have build their own lights for the DYI fun of it. I am actually in the process of doing it myself. I just received my LEDs in the mail yesterday and started soldering the leads onto them.

Tim

RocketSapp-
that is the boat I am in as well, I enjoy DIY and was hoping to build my own as well. The research is becoming a headache though. I have a 30 gallon breeder tank 12" deep and trying to figure out the correct led power, quantity, length, height off the water, and angle is confusing. I am trying to achieve enough PAR to grow hard coral near the surface and softies near the bottom. Any recommendations?

In a twelve inch deep tank you are going to have a hard time doing both SPS and softies IMO. Either the softies will get too much light or the SPS wont get enough. You could try creating some overhangs with your aquascape for some shadier areas for the softies?

Yes that is the problem that I knew I would run into and yes the idea I had about it. I looked into PAR or Quantum meters and geezeeee they are expensive. keeping the light towards the front or back of the tank was an idea and placing the softies on the other side at the bottom edge.
On that note I currently have a nice 36" Coralife T5 High Output dual bulb in there, one 24watt bulb at 10,000k and one 39watt Actinic bluelight providing the 420 nanometer range..... "supposedly"

Yes that is the problem that I knew I would run into and yes the idea I had about it. I looked into PAR or Quantum meters and geezeeee they are expensive. keeping the light towards the front or back of the tank was an idea and placing the softies on the other side at the bottom edge.
On that note I currently have a nice 36" Coralife T5 High Output dual bulb in there, one 24watt bulb at 10,000k and one 39watt Actinic bluelight providing the 420 nanometer range..... "supposedly"

I know!! I want a good PAR meter so bad!! Good luck with it!! One great thing about LED though is that you can control intensity. You can fine tune and keep it where everybody is happiest :)

Yes I love that too, I actually bought a 16' waterproof LED strip from www.usledsupply.com for my boat 3 years ago. hooked it up last night and it worked really well for a moon light. have a controller for it too. Great DIY place for LEDs

Back