New To Saltwater Fish

richardm19

Reefing newb
Hi All,

I have always had a big fasination with marine animals and have now decided i would like to have a marine tank of my own. my only issue is that i have never owned any sort of fishtank before. im currently reading a few books to prepare myself and i know i have a lot to learn before getting my tank but hoped someone could give me some suggestions on some good tanks that would suit a beginner. i ideally want one that does not require any modifications as i would not know where to start. the tank i want will initially be fish only with live rock but once my tank has matured i would like to get corals and perhaps a clam. the fish i want is coulple of clown fish and in time enough room for a few more fish. if anyone has any suggestions or advice that would be a huge help.

Many thanks

Richard

There are many all in one systems available on the market, the BioCube and the Nanocube aquariums are probably most popular as far as turn key systems go. Even those systems are commonly modified to address issues that the tanks have. Your best bet is to get a hold of books on the hobby, and start reading here. Rushing this hobby is likely to leave you frustrated and broke, so taking your time and doing right the first time is key.

A basic setup is not really all that complicated, and you could certainly run your system design past us here before purchasing anything. Remember to take advice from your local fish stores with a grain of salt, at the end of the day they are looking to make a profit off of you, and we don't have that motivation here.

For a frame of reference, I spent about 6 months reading everything I could about the hobby, and another 3 months designing my system before I spent a single penny on the hobby

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Your can check out the articles on the left side of the home page to give you an idea.

Thanks for your advice, my intention is not to get a tank until I know exactly what I'm doing most of the complete tanks I have seen are on the small side and from what I have read a nano tAnk is not suitable for a beginner and would not be ideal for 2 clowns which is what I would like. One I know how do you think it would be cheaper to buy a tank and mod it myself or to buy a complete unit. As I say I'm only planning ahead as I'm nowhere ready yet at the moment I feel like you need a degree in chemistry to own a saltwater aquarium :D

Thanks for all your advice so far

Rich

I would not be too concerned about setting up a system yourself, if you are even remotely handy its not all that hard - besides you'll have us here to help you every step of the way, all you need to do is ask

As far as tank size goes - get the biggest tank that your budget will allow. There are several reasons for this. The first is that chemistry changes to larger bodies of water happen more slowly, so it is easier to maintain good water conditions in a larger tank than a smaller one. Secondly, you are interested in clowns right now which is perfectly fine, but I imagine you will also be drawn to things like tangs and angels. Many of the more popular saltwater fish actually require tanks that are quite large.

The tank itself is actually one of the cheapest parts of the hobby, and going from say the ever popuilar 55 gallon to something like a 90 gallon really isn't all that much more expensive.

While you're reading, take a look at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and determine what fish you want to keep - this will definitely influence your system design.

Welcome from another newbe. What I am doing, right or wrong, is buying most my stuff off of craigslist. I found a complete 55gal freshwater with stand for about $100. While Ive been studying and looking for more salty parts Ive been using it as a freshwater tank. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and help. Hopefully Ill be getting a large chunk of needed supplies this weekend, and starting the switchover.
By running fresh first I have found some areas that Im gonna need to work on and have been addressing sence Ive set up the tank, Such as evening sunlight hitting my tank, evaproation, and water tests. Yes all those reading, Ill be draining and cleaning the holy fresh water batman out of it before I switch.
Again this is what Im doing.
Good luck

cragslist is a great place to find good deals! But you just have to buy smartly, just because its a deal, doesnt mean its a great buy.

Back