new to saltwater tank

wildhorses97

Reefing newb
I have a 75 gallon saltwater aquarium, and I put a overflow box in the tank. My question is could I attach a pvc pipe ( with holes in the sides all the way down the tube ) to the siphon tube that would go to the bottom of my tank, and rid of the skimmer box on the inside of the tank. I do not know if this is the correct verbiage, but please help

Welcome to the reef.
You could do that,But I wouldnt.
The main reasons for the over-flow box is the skim the surface and help prevent a flood in case of a power outtage or pump failure.
If you ran the siphon tube to the bottom of your tank and something happens to stop your pump,you'll siphon your tank dry.

Thats where power heads come in.
You cant have a successful tank without water flow.You want to eleminate any dead spots where detritus can build up.So you'll want as much chaotic flow as you can get.The flow will keep the water oxygenated,and keep the waste in suspension.That way it'll eventually get into the over-flow and down into the sump where it'll either be caught in your mechanicl filtration or settle out of the water.
In my 75,I run 2X #4 Koralias and 2X#2 koralias.I'm a firm beliver that you cant have too much flow.

Ok... let me ask you this... is there a difference in the kinds of salt you use, or are they pretty much the same thing.. What do I need to lookfor?

Well,evey body has their favorite salt.Some are low in one area but high in others,while some are just plat high or low depending on the brand.
I personally have been using oceanic for about a year with no problems.Always have had calcium at 420 with a DKH of 9 and a PH of 8.2.
But'I'll be trying Kent after my next water change.
If your planning on a reef,I'd suggest either one.But I'd stay away from the regular Instant Ocean unless your doing a fish only.

Have you ever seen a layer of film or oily substance on the surface of the water?Thats organic waste,it rises to the surface so that is where you want to draw water from.....not deep down inside the tank.Good flow will keep any organic waste moving until it near the surface and the overflow can bring that water down to the filtration.

I use Kent marine-excellent calcium,akalinity and magnesium which is essential for a reef aquarium.There are other brands that has work well for me in the past....Reef Crystal,Coralife Scientific etc.

you have to have an overflow box or your tank will run dry, Yote is dead on with that. As for salt, Oceanic makes a decent salt for reef or FOWLR. Reef crystals are great as well. IO is too low in critical elements for your tank.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your reefing

-Doc

Back