New to saltwater

The brittle stars and little stars are friendly.

Aiptasia is not. Google aiptasia -- is that what it is? Aiptasia are extremely common hitch hikers, but they reproduce like crazy and sting and kill your other livestock. They are a nasty pest. The easiest and most effective way I've found to get rid of them is using a product called Aiptasia X. You can find it at your LFS. After your tank cycles, add some peppermint shrimp to the tank. They are reef safe and will naturally control any future aiptasia.

If it makes you feel any better, it's nearly impossible to buy rock and not get some aiptasia on it. And if you don't get it with your rock, you will get it with corals down the road. It happens to us all. :(

Looks more like a base type rock to me, as you add more rock you'll get some more porous stuff that you can easily stack on that rock, the stuff you have in there may make it a bit easier on you to build some nice caves, etc. because it has some flat surfaces...Not necessarliy the prettiest rock in the world, but on the bottom of your rock piles, it definitely serves it's purpose. I've got plenty of rock in my tank that looks similar, you'd never even know it was in there. But it is, and it's supporting the other rock giving it alot of stability.

Back