New to saltwater

If you don't have any animals in your tank, just throw it in. If you have fish or a clean up crew (which you shouldn't have in a new tank), then it will need to be cured in a separate container away from the animals.

Theres a store by my house that says they have fiji rock at 5 dollars a pound. Do you think if i just buy like a 5 pound peice or so just to start off that would be oky? I cant really afford to go get 20 pounds.

$5/lb for live rock is actually very cheap. That's comparable to what you'd pay online. My LFS sells live rock for $12 to $14/lb. You can start off with just one piece. It will seed any dry rock that you already have over time. Of course, the more live rock you start off with, the faster this process will occur.

Wow. That is expensive! Yea i just wanna get something in there til next payday lol... Hopefully its quality rock. I'll take a pic of what i get and see what you think.

When you pick out rock, it should smell fresh, not like rotten fish (but it will have an ocean smell). Pick one that is lightweight and has a lot of spaces, caves and pores. If you can get one that has a few different colors on it, that's even better.

Well just got back and got a couple of pretty nice pieces i think. One 3 pound piece and a little half pounder. Has pink red and like purple colors on them. It was 8 dollars a pound for the more established rock. Bout to post some pics . Theres a plant or something attached to one of them and was wondering if you could tell me what it is.

photo.php
photo.php

That's nice looking rock. The green thing is a piece of algae. Hard to say what kind, since it's just a stem. Just pull it off and throw it away.

Ahh he said it was algae, but i thought i would let the experts look lol... I put the rock in and out came a little star fish and a few snails. I dont suppose they will make it though since my tanks so fresh huh?

They can, if you do water changes every 1-2 days. It may prolong your cycle though. I had snails, crabs, and an urchin as hitchhikers in my tank from day one, and I still have almost all of them (only lost a few crabs)

I just went and looked at it and there are 3 anemones sticking out of it. They are brown with long tenticals. Any idea what they are?

If you want to load pics...

1. save them to your computer. (usually in picures or documents)
2. When you're posting a thread click GO ADVANCED.
3. Click the paper clip.
4. Click browse (this opens up your computer files)
5. Click the pic you want to attach.

Back