New to saltwater

dixiegirl21191

Reef Junkie
Hi all! I'm an army wife who has decided to start a 10 gallon marine tank! I'm so excited to get started. My husband and I are going to look for a tank this weekend! What internet sites do yall recommend for gathering info and supplies?

Welcome! You've definitely found the right forum site for feedback, info, and support! I'd recommend checking out the articles section here to get started, particularly the https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html article - though for a 10g, you really don't need a sump, protein skimmer, or auto top-off, and can just get away with weekly 10-20% water changes to keep your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk, calcium, iodine, and magnesium stable). You will want to get a refractometer to measure salinity, RO/DI to make your water, and quality lights depending on if/what type of corals you want to keep. There are many of us here with 10g nano tanks, so check out some of the nano/tiny tank threads in the showcase section of the forum!

For equipment, good sites are aquacave, bulk reef supply, marine depot, and drs. foster-smith. For dry rock, I'd check out bulk reef supply or marcorocks (you can get mostly dry rock and then a few lbs of live rock to seed your dry rock - it will all turn live in a few weeks). For fish and inverts, Live Aquaria is a great resource for information on feeding/tank size/reef compatability/aggression information as well as lighting/placement/flow requirements for various corals. Reef cleaners is a good resource for getting your clean-up crew, although with a 10g, you may find it cheaper to just get them from your LFS (local fish store).

Finally, 10g are harder to keep stable in terms of water temp and parameters than a larger tank, so I'd really encourage you to take your time setting it up, check your parameters frequently, and carefully and slowly stock your tank. You can add a small hang-on back filter and convert it into a refugium by taking out the filter media and just adding some rock rubble and chaetomorpha macro algae with a regular lightbulb or small clip-on LED light to help keep nitrates in check.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

I've bought two fish from Live Aquaria, a juvi Majestic Angel and a juvi Harlequin Tusk. Both fish are doing great. You really want to only order online for something you can't get locally. Another thing you have to keep in mind the cost of overnight shipping which adds substantially to the final price.

Also, Hello and Welcome. :D

Last edited:
I am sooo excited!!!!! My husband and I just bought my tank, a piece of rock, and a penguin bio filter and only spent $30!! One step closer yall!!!

Welcome dixie. Pics or it didn't happen

I will post a pic when I get home its still empty. Military paycheck will not allow for me to get everything all at once. I did buy a light for $3 at a yard sale this morning now I just need a lid, sand, and salt mix, and a test kit then I should be able to start cycling.

IMAG1398.jpg

:mrgreen:

Back