New to site and looking for help...

rees83usaf

Reefing newb
Hey guys! I am new to the site and thought I would say hello as I was advised... Haha... So, here goes!

I am new to the saltwater thing kinda i guess... I have only been in the hobby about 2 years. I am pretty familiar with reef tanks but fish are a whole new thing for me. I have a 20 gallon nano that I love. Its doing very well. I have had this one up and running about 4 months. I have live rock in it with some random slugs that hitched a ride. The Coraline algae has begun to bloom all over and it is starting to look very alive. This one is not the problem though.

Back in Dec, I recieved a 55 gallon aquarium and stand and all that as a Christmas present b/c I mentioned to my roomates how I wanted ot start having fish. So, they all bought me a nice 55 gallon aquarium and stand and a few supplies... Nice of them wouldnt ya say? So, I filled it with sand, a few dead rocks, and all that. After about a month, I added some fish. nothing special... A tellow tang, peppermint shrimp, star, and a couple chromis. Just to see how it worked out. Well, the fish are still alive after 4 months so, i guess thats a good sign. However, I cant gorw ANY algae in my aquarium.

Its like it goes through phases. I can get a nice coat of this nasty brown algae growing then after a week or so, its like something happens and it all turns white and vanishes. My aquarium is now 5 months old and it looks like I just filled with with brand new white gravel and crystal clear glass... I have been checking the water like I check my nano and the levels all are within normal levels. I even changed my lighting out to a blue tinted color b/c I was told that could be my problem. Yet, a month has gone by and I still have a perfectly clean tank. I wanted to refrain from adding live rock, b/c I didnt want to introduce the bristle worms that my nano has. But I think I might just have to. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have had such great luck growing bugs and junk in my nanao... But my 55 gallon is struggling.

Haha... I always thought the big aquariums were suppose to be easier! I dont think thats the case! Haha

Here are the specs and tests I have on the 55g that I do...

Lighting: 2 Maine-Glo 18'' Blue Tint Flurescent bulbs
Temp: 78-82 degrees
Fish: 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Bubble Starfish, 2 green Chromis, 1 Peppermint Shrimp
Filtration: Aqueaon Filter system with bio-system
Substrate: approx 2 inches of Aragonite
Water Tests performed: Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, High Range Ph (I also have a strip that tells General Hardness and Carbonate Hardness but I dont know what those really mean. I know the GH is always at 180 and the Carbonate is usually 180-240)
Additives: Once a week or so I add Kent Marine Strontium/Molybdenum, Calcium and Iodine. And atleast once a week add PurpleUp Coraline Algae Accelerator.

Any help would be appreciated!

Rees

Welcome to the site.
If want coraline,you've got to have some to start with.Go ahead and add some live rock and dont worry about the bristle worms.They are actually great to have being as they are probably THE best members of your clean up crew.

AND,(upping my post count here)Dont dose anything you dont have a test kits for.
Forget about the strontium/molybdenum.Water changes will keep that in line.
Purple up adds calcium,so check your calcium levels before dosing for that.Also save the iodine for when you need to dip a new coral,regular water changes will take care of that too.

Yote:
You have made a very useful suggestion! The one about not dosing if I dont have the test! Haha... Seems like an obvious thing now that I think about it! I appreciate the help! As far as the additives go, thanks for the info how not to add the chmicals I dont need! I have been adding them weekly! Sigh... Perhaps now, I will see a turn around! Thanks!

IMO purple up is a huge waste of money...... coralline algae is hard to predict..... some of us get it in plague proportions while others can't grow it to save our necks! maintaining calcium levels and getting some other coralline to seed it is your best bet.... if you have a small rock that has tons of coralline on it in your nano..... take it out and scrape the coralline off it...... use the coralline scrapings from the glass in your nano.... turn your pumps off in the 55 and spread these scrapings around..... continue doing that and before long you'll end up with a purple tank....... much cheaper and much more effective than using purple up....

good luck

Hey, thanks for your thoughts on the Purple Up! I did as you said a week ago... haha.. I thought I was being smart and did like you said, took the rocks out of the nano and scraped them into the 55 gallon... I am starting to see sporadic pink spots now! Woohoo! Thanks for the suggestion on the purple up. I hate adding that stuff and clouding my aquarium for an entire day! Thanks for the suggestion though! I thnk I may have just dosed the last of the purple up for now! =)

Back