New to site and SW

navyclown

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site, and to SW. I've kept FW before and got out of it for a while. I helped set up a friends tank 8 months ago and started getting the bug again. This time I decided to take the plunge into the oceans. So I went out and got myself going on a 29 gallon tank about 3-4 months ago. I would have loved to have a bigger one, but can't afford one right now, but I'm planning for one already. I have a Marineland emperor series power filter, good up to 50 gallons. I keep my water temp at 78.

Now to a couple questions that I hope I might get some help with. What would be a good hang on the back protein skimmer for me to add too my setup? I keep getting advice for and against getting one.

Live rock, I have about 12 pounds right now, should I get more?

I have two Ocellaris clowns, which are my favorite saltwater fish, already. They have been swimming around for about the last month and half right now, and I am thinking that it might be time to add another couple. I am leaning towards getting a Flame angel, but not totally sure how he will interact with my clowns. I was shooting for 4-5 in my tank total. I am trying to stick with hardier specis, and was told that the Flame is a hardy specis. Is this correct? If not what would be a good combination for me to use.

Like I said I have already begun to plan my next tank, so everything I learn is not only going to help me with what I have now, but will help me with any future tanks(cause I'm sure it will be multible tanks in my future:mrgreen:)

Well thanks for the help.

Hello and welcome!

There really aren't any good HOB skimmers for small tanks like yours. The two best ones would be either an Octopus HOB or an Aqua C Remora, but both of those are made for larger tanks than yours. With a 29 gallon tank, you are better off just doing larger water changes than buying a skimmer.

You should have 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon of tank size. Live rock is a very important source of biological filtration -- the more you've got, the better.

You may be pushing it with a flame and two clowns in a 29 -- both of those fish can be aggressive. Flame angels are pretty hardy, I'm just afraid your fish may beat each other up. It's worth a shot -- but keep in mind flame angels are not 100% reef safe, and it very well could take a liking to eating corals in your tank.

THanks for the help. I'm doing water changes each week, usually do about 5 gallons each time. So i'll keep trucking with that till I get a bigger tank. And I'll get some more live rock. Does it make a difference if it comes from different areas? Can I mix them together? I'll keep that in mind about the clowns and the flame. I'm not doing a reef tank yet, I want to get my feet wet with doing a saltwater tank, and I don't have the money to do a reef setup yet.

Cool, thanks for the help again. I'm sure I'll have more questions. I usually research something to death before I try it.

Welcome aboard Navy.Were happy to have you.
I have to respectively disagree with Biff on the skimmer.I think that any tank could benefit from a skimmer,no matter the size.They effectively remove waste from the water.Sure you can do that with water changes,but why not use something that will keep the waste even lower?

Then back to my question of what HOB would work for my tank? the only bit of advice that i have been given that was unanimous was to stay away from the skiliter filters. I enjoy doing all the upkeep for my tank, but if I can do something to make the tank look that much better then I'm all for it.

Stay away from Skilters, Prizms and Sea Clones. Like I said, Aqua C Remora and Octopus make the most affordable, decent HOB skimmers out there. A lot of people use Coralife Super Skimmers, but those have a reputation of being more touchy and difficult to control.

Hello and welcome to the site, glad to have you. I have a aqua c remora on my 29gal which used to be on my 55gal and it does a great job. Like mentioned, you don't need one, but its best to have one, and having one on the 29gal will help keep your levels stable.

Hello! Welcome! I am new as well. I have had my 29 gal tank for 6 months now, I do not have a protein skimmer and i am using over the back filters as well. I do a water change every week, and I make sure to check and clean out the sponges in my filter all of the time to keep it as healthy as possible. Its only been 6 months, but it has worked so far!! Good Luck to you!

Back