New to the hobby

silhouette

Reefing newb
I have a 40 gallon saltwater tank, everything been going great. I just have a few questions.
I keep having red brown and green spots on the sand?
What kind of protein skimmer is good?

Hi welcome to the reefs Im sorry about your issue but we need more specifics on your tank before we can help you. As Bobby asked what are you params, do you have propper water movement. How about surface agitation?

My levels are all fine I test cont. Right now all I have is a filter unit. Need advice on extras, to help keep the sand clean and to continue on... I have shrimp, clown, yellow tang, and two others not sure

Thanks for the tip on skimmer.. Can anyone tell me why my sand keeps changing color... Do I need something else.... levels are all fine

Welcome to the site. Your substrait changes color because either your water parameters are off, you do not have adequate filtration, water movement is not sufficient or correct in the tank, or possible a host of other things such as not enough sand stirrers etc. See our helpful articles forum you will find a lot of information there to help you understand what is going on. again welcome glad you found our site.

My tank as been up and running for 6 months and it is cycled. It's possible about not enough water movement.. All I have is a standard filtration system.

What are you considering standered filtration? Do you have a skimmer? I would add 2 power heads on seperate sides to get movement all over the tank.

Just a salt water filter unit. I have nothing else but a heater... NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE on what to add next. The aquarium store says slighting is suitable for tank.. I'm just learning please help....

There are many types of filter units... If you can tell us whatever it says on the side, we can help. I'd say definitely add two powerheads, you need much more circulation than a filter can provide and that will definitely help with your problem. I'd also recommend that before you buy anything, post it here, and we'll tell you (honestly) what we think about the product and if it's a waste of money. What kind of lighting do you have?

yeah,,you defenitly need a couple of power heads,Id suggest the maxi-jet 1200s.Id also look at getting an emperor 400,some people dont like the bio-wheels on them while other do.I personaly like the bio-wheels because they help with gas exchange.IMO
What type of light do you have and how many watts is it?
How long do you run your lights? They could also be part of your problem.

I'd recommend a good skimmer over an Emperor. The best H.O.B. out there is the Aqua C Remora Pro. And definitely a couple power heads.

Last edited:
on a 30 I recommend them both the skimmer and filter and 2 powerheads you need propper surface agitation and water movement youll be fine. Lights that all depends on what your wanting to raise.

Back