New to the hobby

ddbknight

Reefing newb
Hey there! I have had freshwater tanks for some time, but i decided I wanted to start something more challenging, hints why im here. I purchased a 75 gallon tank drilled and the works. I have a 15 gallon sump and an adequate pump. I wanted to keep a fish only tank and add some live rock as I go. I have researched and found that this can indeed be done. So far I have added about 80 lbs. of live sand and have filled the tank with ro/di water. The salt has been added and the tank has been running for about two weeks.

After checking the parameters and taking the water fro my LFS to check it out, they told me I was well into my cycle. I then bought 20 hermits (blue legged) and waited another week. I took them some more water and they said I should be almost done. They told me to add 4 damsels to finish the cycle . Its going on 5 weeks now, the damsels as active as always. I check the parameters daily and everything is at 0. Should I ask the store to take the damsels back and buy a clown and a blue tang or should they be OK with the new additions? I do not want the damsels to dictate what i put in the tank. Also I have decorations on one side of the tank and im getting live rock in 2 weeks so that will fill the rest of the area. Im getting about 40 pounds.

Thank You for any help,

ddbknight

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 148
Hello and Welcome!

I would suggest removing the wood, its not used in saltwater tanks i can only imagine its going to give you problems down the road.

Also, anything you put in your tank is going to live over time. All live means is that it has bacteria on it that can break down toxic wastes into less toxic compounds. You also want 1-2 lbs per gallon so you have enough surface area for the bacteria to live on to accommodate the maximum number of fish you can have. You dont need to get all live rock (very expensive!) you can get mostly dry base rock (IMO best place to order it is marcorocks.com) and just a few pounds of live rock from your LFS to seed the tank.

Also, do return the damsels. They are some of the meanest fish you can get and will probably attack and kill anything else you want to add.

Remember, this is saltwater - its a totally different ball game from fresh.

With salt, you can only have 1 small fish for every 10 gallons. So you are limited to 7-8 fish with your tank. Also each fish needs a certain amount of space. Also, not all fish will get along together. Research before you buy your fish, and talking to your lfs does not count. Many, most, lfs are just there to sell you stuff and give absolutely horrendous advice.

A great place to research fish is: Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

I also highly suggest you get your own test kits, because if something goes wrong you need to be able to test right away and not have to take a trip the lfs to figure stuff out.

Also, please read this article. It covers water chemistry which is key to being successful in this hobby. It also talks about how to properly cycle a tank, which is also super important.
https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

I would remove your damsels, and add your live rock, and not add anymore animals until after you add the rock. Adding live rock may start a new cycle in your tank. You don't want fish in there if your tank re-cycles.

I would also recommend removing the wood. If you leave it in there, it will just become an algae magnet.

That isn't real wood. It is decor that is made of Poly-resin designed by Foster and Smith for saltwater tanks. I'm getting the live rock tonight!!

Back