New water test readings. Exciting!!!!

Justin0329

Reefing newb
Ok, so I have a 55 gal tank with a 25 gal sump that has been up and running for about 6 months now and tonight I decided to do a random water test. First off Ill tell you about my livestock. I have 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 Coral Beauty angel, 2 Blue Damsels, 3 Blue leg hermits, 1 Green Emerald Crab, 1 Decorator Crab and 2 large snails (unknown). My readings, witch I tested with an API Master Test Kit read Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, and Nitrates 0. PH at 8.2 and Salinity at 1.023. Is it just me or does this sound too good to be true?

What kind of flitration are you running in your sump? If you are running a good skimmer, have no algae issues and everything is happy and healthy you just might have an awesome tank! I would be concerned if you have a lot of algae because that would be a sign of increased nitrates or if you were seeing livestock die since that could mean ammonia. But it also could be you have done a good job!

Honestly, I am running a cheap Ebay skimmer. It has however been operating wonderfully. I am finding myself emptying the collection cup twice a week, As far as algae, I don't have any sort of hair algae or slime algae but I do seem to have a bit of Diatoms. I still cant wait til they dissipate.

At this point, unless you are using tap water, I dont think you still have diatoms. Those guys burn themselves out pretty fast. I would also raise your salinity to 1.025.

Back