Newb alert!!!

Audi0s

Reefing newb
Hi everyone. As I mentioned in my welcome post, my friend looking to get rid of his 18 gallon via aqua all in 1 aquarium. Now Ive heard that thats not enough room for everything to get along in happily, etc etc etc. What is everyones opinion? Im not looking to jam this thing full of fish, I just want a small reef setup that might have a few clowns, shrimps, goby/ies, lobsters, stars, anything that keeps everyone alive and happy, not necessarily the prettiest fish, or the rarest. I know I only have 18 to work with, so the number will be low. What can everyone recommend?
Also, I was worried about water movement in this tank. Right now its a typical Eclipse like setup with 2 bulbs, and filter/heater included. Its the normal 3 stage filtration. As for flow exit, theres 8 holes drilled where the water flows out, but its not realy creating much movement, much less than my HOB filters for me freshy tanks. I was thinking about throwing a powerhead in there, when I think of reefs, I see water moving all around. Ive recently seen somethings on skimmers, would this fix my situation? He was also having trouble with his nitrates, they were off the chart, but was told that nitrates dont kill fish. True? Thanks to the experienced members who take time to answer questions like this, as a warning, there will be more to come haha!

Hi and welcome! With an 18 gallon tank, you can probably keep about 3 small fish, maximum. So a pair of clowns and a goby would be perfect for your setup.

As for inverts, you would also have space to happily keep a pair of shrimp and a starfish. I think lobsters are out though.

You should have a lot of water movement in a saltwater tank. Look into getting a small powerhead. A Koralia 1 or Koralia 2 would probably be good. (I think there's a "like new" Koralia 1 for sale in our Classifieds forum if you want to check it out).

With the stock lights of the Eclipse, you will be very limited in what corals you can keep though. Eclipse tanks just aren't made for saltwater/coral keeping. If they were, they'd have much better lights. I think you'd probably be okay with low light corals such as mushrooms, zoanthids and leathers though.

Getting a skimmer for that small of a tank isn't really worth it. They are expensive, and you're better off just doing water changes rather than buying a skimmer. You should be doing 10 to 20% of the tanks volume (so 2 to 4 gallons) per week. And please don't use tap water -- use RODI water.

Nitrates do kill fish if they get high enough, but fish are a lot less sensitive to nitrates than inverts are. If you are wanting to keep anything besides fish, you'll need to keep the nitrates below 20. You can do this with...you guessed it, water changes.

What type of anemone (sp?) would be ok with a few clowns and my lighting situation? I believe my friend tried a white bay anemone and I think a carpet as well. I also know he went with a daylight bulb and a bluer full spectrum bulb i believe. 2-4 gallons a week isnt so bad at all, I think I can handle it. Im assuming Im not vacuuming, just changing the water correct? The sand and sifters should be doing the work? I appreciate the quick response

No anemones would be okay with your lighting situation, unfortunately. Anemones need stronger lighting than most corals. You would have to spend at least a couple hundred bucks on new lights to keep an anemone, and then it'd probably be about a year before your tank would be ready for one, as they require pristine water conditions. They are one of the harder types of animals to keep in this hobby.

You're correct about the water changes, just remove the water. Your cleaner crew should take care of the sand bed.

BTW are you secretly my fiance? He is a climber and an Audi fanatic. He woke up here this morning, but I suppose he could have gotten to NJ by now with the way he drives...

Wow, ridiculous, a year! I think its amazing that its so hard and expensive to replicate something thats naturally occuring, and we're destroying it. I appreciate your help Biffer, but no Im not your fiance...dont want anything holdin my finger down!

The Biffster is 100% correct.A big misconception is that clownfish have got to have an anemone.When in reality they'll call just about anything home.
Besides that,I dont recommend an anemone in a reef tank.All it takes for the anemone to wipe out a bunch of corals,is for it to decide it wants to sink roots some where else in the tank.

Ok, I will keep that in mind. Im all amped up about this tank now, and my friends not even sure if he wants to move it! He f'in better!

how soon do you expect to take this tank on?

BTW i have always been head over heels in love with old late 80s M3s. i really want one.

Tyrigrava.jpg

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Alot of attentive people on this site! Im hoping to pick it up this week, clean everything out, and start fresh with a new cycle, water etc. Anyway to speed up the first cycle? Does Bio-Spira work? What is ok to put in right away, and what needs to wait, besides the fish?
I loooooovvveee the E30 style M3, my friend has one, and its a totally different experience than driving one nowadays. You need a new pic though, that ones all riced out! Note the intercooler, non factory hood and color. Way too modified for my taste, leave it stock, and make it white!

Just start with live rock.It'll get things going.Bio-Spira might be alright,but a natural cycle is a better cycle.Dont add anything untill the cycles complete.
Sand,rock,and wait.

You should have a lot of water movement in a saltwater tank. Look into getting a small powerhead. A Koralia 1 or Koralia 2 would probably be good. (I think there's a "like new" Koralia 1 for sale in our Classifieds forum if you want to check it out).

Just my :twocents: here... I've got a 29gall, and I just bought a Koralia2 the other day... turned out to be too big, and my poor baby clownfish got blown all over the tank. So a Koralia 1 turned out to be much better in my small tank... and since yours is smaller, thought I'd mention it and save you the money getting the bigger one would cost you. :)

Also, about the anemone for clowns-- I have heard clowns sometimes like xenia for their home ([ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5E4q7sZKTY[/ame])... my clowns tolerate the new xenia I just got, so far, but it's worth a shot if you really want to see your clowns hosting something.

Good luck with the new tank :)

Thanks alot for the words of wisdom. Is that a BioCube? I recently ran across one of those and now Im obsessed!! I think thats the direction I want to go in, all in one setup, plus people are getting rid of them for less than half of the orginal price. Space is also an option in my 1 bedroom apt, so the 40 breeder I found with a penguin 350 I have laying aorund might get scrapped. Whats everyone opinion of these all in ones?

You need a new pic though, that ones all riced out! Note the intercooler, non factory hood and color. Way too modified for my taste, leave it stock, and make it white!

Sorry im a turbo guy. I believe a turbo will almost always make things better. hell its a sportscar. why not make it faster. Although i do agree with the certain luster that a perfect stock great condition one would carry.

Personally,I'd stay away from the Bio-Cubes.We're always having issues with them at the LFS.Fans going out or making a lot of racket.Light ballast burning out or just not working at all.The pumps completely stop running for no apparent reason.
The Red Sea all in ones seem to be a little better.
Thats just going by what I've seen with our customers that have bought the Bio-Cubes.

Back