Newb from North Carolina

firefighter5325

Reefing newb
Hows it going guys & gals. I am just starting out in the world of saltwater, so I have been doing alot of reading and talking to local pet shops/aqaurium owners. will probly be looking for a little help every now and then. Hopefully one day I will be able to help some others out.

I have always wanted a saltwater aqaurium and just havnt had the funds to do everything properly so i didnt want to go in and kill a lot of innocent fish(I am a firm beliver in dont kill anything that you are not gonna eat or is trying to kill you, spiders are the exception to this rule though). I have had aqariums in the past just they have always been freshwater and much smaller.

After doing some reading and finding that it is actualy easier to start with a bigger tank since it is more forgiving to beginner mistakes I am starting out with a 55 gallon tank.
A friend was getting rid of his aquarium so I picked up a few things he had left over.
I have purchased so far the heater not 100% sure of the brand however I do know it is adjustable.
I have a hood with 4 bulbs (2 white 55w 10000K, 2 55w blue).
A whisper 60 hang on filter.
(this is all that the guy had in his aquarium it always stayed dirty and did not look apealing).
So far I have purchased 45bs of fiji standard live rock from liveaquaria will be here next thursday its was on sale for a 69 from 109 so I figured i would save some money and order it a little early. I will probly get some more cured to seed one the tank has established I want around 90lbs or so in the end.
I have got 60lbs of carbian live sand picked it up from pets mart Im still not sure if this will be enough or not.
I have the stuff to do the bacteria bed a local guy told me to get the grating for flourecent lights and some fiber glass mesh to put in the bottom under the sand.
I still have to get a protien skimmer, uv sanitizer, power heads, and a ro/di unit.

I am wanting everything to be hang on. I am looking at a Bak-Pak for a protien skimmer. I was looking at a AA Aquarium uv fileter with powerhead AAUV9W. I will probly use two of these, since they are rated for up to 50 gallons and it will have the proper water flow for a FOWLR tank from the powerheads. The reviews seam to be ok but the filter media inside gets dirty quickly. I may purchance 2 more smaller power heads since Im still considering doing a reef tank just not 100% sure yet.

I still have alot of reading to go but hopefully i will catch on to thngs quickly.

Hello and Welcome!

I would ditch the filter and just get a good skimmer, it will serve you much better. Be wary of cheap skimmers, they are just that - cheap. You are also going want to get one that is rated for twice your system volume. Some great skimmers for the money are the reef octopus skimmers and hyrdo bubble skimmers.

I also personally wouldnt get the UV filter. It kills off too much of the good stuff.

I would also get new bulbs right away, old bulbs tend to fuel more algae growth because the wavelength has changed to favor algae growth over time. Also if your lights are PC (the bulbs will be connected) you wont be able to keep much else beyond softies, but if its t5 lighting you might be able to keep some more different types of corals.

Also you dont need to get all live rock. The pieces that you did buy will be more than enough to seed dry rock which is much much cheaper. A great place to by dry rock is marcorocks.com In a few months you wont be able to tell what originally started off as dry rock.

For powerheads i would look at getting a couple, more flow is always better. You are going to want about 40x the tank volume turned over per hour. More flow is always better, reef or otherwise. You get more oxygen exchange (good for the fish and corals) and it will help keep detritus from settling keeping down algae growth.

Here are some great articles you should read as well:
https://www.livingreefs.com/ideal-books-reef-keepers-t19535.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/choose-your-fish-t27083.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

Remember, research everything before you buy it!!!! It causes me and you endless heartache when you buy something that is not meant to live in our tanks or wont do well in your size tank! Also remember that lfs are notorious for giving bad or slanted advice. We wont make any money off of you here so our opinions are unbiased.

howdy and welcome to the site..:D
sounds like your on the right track, first I would drop the whisper filter wont need it anyway with the skimmer powerheads and rock.. 90 pounds will work great powereheadsd I would shoot for around 40 times per hour turnover, will allow for some corals down the road and you can always add one more if you get into others..skimmer just make sure it is rated for around double your tank size. the uv sterilizers are still a big debate on wether they are worth having or not. that will be totally up to you and your research... the light should be good for what you want, I would just replace the bulbs. they only are optimal for just under a year..
enjoy the site and ask as many questions as you can ..

Thanks for the help guys. I had no clue that bulbs would only last a year so I will deffinitly be getting new ones becouse knowing the guy that had these lights they may have only been changed once or twise in the ten years they had the set-up. So it seams I need to do some more reading on the uv filters I run them in my outdoor ponds but I know that is a completely diffrent monster. I will look into the other brand of skimmers as well I just foun that and liked the way it looked, i read reviews and they seamed to be good I know hardly nothing and rely on searching for online reviews. I usually find a product and then try searching for forum threads where people have discussed the item. Like Little_Fish said forum members usually arnt out to make money so the addvise is real life real use un biased opiniuns. Again thanks and I look forward to one day being able to contribute some good information to others.

Last edited:
Thanks yall.
Marach I have looked at those swimmers thanks for the link I ran out of time to order but I will be ordering from there find a few more things tomorrow and place the order.

Back