Newb question about In-Sump Skimmers

Dturner

Reefer Madness
I currently own a hang-on back Octopus skimmer that isn't pulling it's weight as well anymore and I need to upgrade to an in-sump skimmer.

My question is, do I need to maintain a stable water level in my sump in order for an in-sump skimmer to work? Do I need an auto-top off system for them to work properly?

Or should I be okay topping it off as needed with buckets of water like I have been doing? Which of course means that the level in the sump could be 6 inches one day and 12 inches of water the next.

Any answers are greatly appreciated!

Daniel

Ok, good to know. Thanks. My sump has a built in float valve with a siphon tube, but I have no clue how to use it or get the siphon going. I bought it from someone on craigslist who I don't think used that feature.

If you have a traditional sump that is divided into sections, the skimmer section's water level should never change. Only the return section's water level should change.

I have a sump but there is no plexiglass dividing it into sections. It's got bioballs as a wet/dry filter on the left half and an open section on the right. Whoever I bought the sump from must've lost the plexiglass piece for it. I supposed I could always buy plexiglass and remove the bioballs to make it work.

Back