Newb with a wish list

Distemper

Reefing newb
Hey all. I'm starting up my first SW tank and this seemed like a good place to be in case I have any questions.
I'm just starting a 60 gal tank. I plan on adding a sump that I'm making from my old 26 gal FW tank. I bought this tank and stand with 15w 18" T8 lights from a friend of my wife's for $400. My plans are for a CPR CS90 overflow box, an Octopus skimmer, and a Current USA 6x54w Nova Extreme light setup.
I literally just added salt and dry rock a couple hours ago and still need to start cycling the tank. I currently have about 60 lbs dry rock and plan to add another 25 plus 15 or so live rock.
Hopefully this will all go well. I'm as new as they come to having a SW tank and even tho I've been researching pretty much non stop for the last month I still feel like I'm flying blind.

Attachments

• new tank with stand 30 may 2011.jpg
    new tank with stand 30 may 2011.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 259
  • new tank 30 may 2011.jpg
    new tank 30 may 2011.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 253
Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask anything! :)

It is soooo hard when you start, there is so much to learn. Do you know about cycling your tank? You should be well on your way if you added some live rock in your tank as well :)

I haven't added any live rock just yet. (money)
I added a chopped up frozen shrimp to provide some ammonia. I really don't want to put fish in there while cycling and I can't find any bottled ammonia without soap. I plan on adding a couple chunks of live rock Wed when I get paid. Next weekend I'm heading to Home Depot or Lowes to get some plexiglass for the sump. Prob buy overflow and skimmer between the next couple checks and higher end lights by the end of July. I don't plan on adding any animals until I have the sump completely outfitted and installed so the cycle should be well and done by then.

Yea, sounds like you have a few basic things done! The shrimp is good to get the ammonia going, but remember to take it out after a couple of days.

You only need one peice of live rock and all your dry rock will be seeded and will eventually become live.

You dont need the overflow before you put any livestock, but those t8 lights will stop you from having any corals in your tank. You can add inverts and fish as soon as its cycled :)

Post up a post in the tank showcase so we can see your progress on this diy job! we love seeing that :)

Good luck

howdy and welcome to the site...:D
sounds like you have the basics going really well..
just remember when getting your return pump from the sump you will lose flow due to piping and height coming back to display.. get a little bigger pump then needed and put a ball valve just after return to slow pump to what you need..

Back