Newbeeee

Robtv

Reefing newb
What do you guys think of the almost ready NANO cubes , oceanic and other makes ?are they good starter tank or will I find my self upgrading the factory installed filters, lights *Etc *To get the tank *right. Would like to have my first tank for at lease 4-5 years

Would it be better for me to put together individual equipment tank, filter Etc any good suggestion any brand of anything I should stay away?

I Like the rimless look will I experience any problems**my friend is telling me I should run a pump for the filter don't want to get over my head too fast he thinks a drilled tank would be okay *I'm thinking about a 30- 40 gallon tank would like a few corals and fish.

What do you guys think have read lots of good advice so far
Thanks in advance*

Hi there,
I think it all depends on your personal preference. You have to research and discover what you are interested in keeping. Everyone is different. Do you want anenomes? Difficult corals? Clams? Then you need great lights. If you don't care about keeping these things then you can get stock lights and be fine. A lot of people enjoy building their tank. I myself got the 14 gallon oceanic biocube after doing a lot of research because honestly, I started to get overwhelmed by skimmers and sumps and refugiums, oh my and which lights to buy etc. I was constantly researching and looking for deals....I liked that I could just pop the darn biocube thing out of the box and go.
I've had the tank 8 months now and, of course, a part of me wishes I had gotten the 28 gallon biocube so I could get another fish and have a bit more room, they were clearancing them out and you just couldn't beat the price.
But, there is just something fun about having a little tank, it's manageable for me. I only have about half a gallon of evaporation a week and my water changes are about 2 gallons so, again, it's not overwhelming.
I've been really happy with my choice, though I think it is considered a bit blah in this hobby, sort of like getting the Huffy bike instead of the Trek ;) But, I have some "easy" corals, and watch my fish and shrimp crabs and snails and I'm happy. Again, it's personal preference.
You say you want a 40 gallon tank, which wouldn't be a oceanic/nano product anyhow. I believe most people on here will tell you that you mine as well go up to a 55. It's easier to manage and maintain stability in larger tanks like a 55. There is tons of great information on here about how to set up a tank from scratch.
Can't wait to see what you pick and make sure you post some pics!

I prefer setting up from scratch...that way you can do things your way, and not worry about changing things or upgrading.

It looks like Im going used 29 gallon oceanic biocube $100 has like rock and sand my observation water was clear back of the tank had lots of purple and redish stuff growing in the back the seller tested the salinity of the water he showed me a salinity tester that looked like a scope it was reading 1020-1021 I also saw some green alge
Growing off the rocks I will be taking about 15 gallons of his water and will add about 15 gallons of fresh water he said I should change about half he had two clown fish until about a week ago how does this sound any comments or something that I should be looking for

Back