Newbie - Advise needed...

damigs

Reefing newb
Hello everyone. This is the first time I have posted after several weeks of reading thru pages and gathering info. I currently have the following which is 7 weeks steady now.

54 Gallon Corner
2 x 65w Power Compact
Ecosystem refugium w/ Calearpa in Miracle mud
50 lbs live rock
Live Sand
2 plate corals
1 bubble coral
2 LPS corals
6 small Chromies
3 small Ocellaris Clowns

I just did my first 5% water change Monday as I was getting hit hard with Diatoms. Since then my sand is alot cleaner but rocks still show alot of brown algea. My trates/trites = 0, Calcium is 450 ppm, PH is around 8.3 - 8.4 and AK is in the normal range.

My question is basically what next?? I wanted to get advise on what fish I could mingle with and get along well with what I have listed and thats pretty hardy. Also if you were in my position what would you do as your next step. Advise is truely appreciated as I take pride in my new hobby.

Thanks!

Miguel

Next Step

I am assuming (forgive me) that your system is about 3 months old. if so you have a fairly decent bioload. since it appears you have done your research and your system is well thought out I would suggest you just sit tight at this time and let your system mature with what you have in it. if you can keep everything alive for the next 3 months and keep your water parameters in check, deal with algae out breaks, then at that time you might consider adding something. Im partial to the six line wrasse myself. They are a cool fish and do not get very big. I would currently put effort into the clean up crew to control algae etc. hope this helps. (patients is always the hardest part of the hobby.)

jhnrb said:
I am assuming (forgive me) that your system is about 3 months old. if so you have a fairly decent bioload. since it appears you have done your research and your system is well thought out I would suggest you just sit tight at this time and let your system mature with what you have in it. if you can keep everything alive for the next 3 months and keep your water parameters in check, deal with algae out breaks, then at that time you might consider adding something. Im partial to the six line wrasse myself. They are a cool fish and do not get very big. I would currently put effort into the clean up crew to control algae etc. hope this helps. (patients is always the hardest part of the hobby.)

Its actually about 7 weeks old now. This is excellent advise and appreciate the feedback. I will concentrate on a better cleaning crew. For now I take pride in my water levels and keeping them as perfect as I can. So basically the brown algea/diatoms is normal. I do notice that on the rocks I get little oxygen bubbles where the diatoms are.. Is this bad??

If what you have is diatoms, or cynobacteria, or brown algae, they all need a food source. silicates, nitrate, phosphate, etc. check out the helpful articles and you will find a lot of stuff there that will help you with your questions. What I try to get across to hobbist that are new to saltwater is that just doing something because it works dosnt prepare you for long term success. Why something is done and why the problem developed in the first place needs to be understood to some extent. The helpful articles will give you enough information to give you a basis to make a decision as to what to do, however, if all else fails we are here to help as we can. a new system will inevitably go through several stages. once the food source is eliminated or consumed the diatoms will dissapear. ( what you may have is cynobacteria or diatoms) you will need to find the food souce and eliminate it. in the meantime siphon as much as you can get out when you do water changes and work on your cleanup crew to deal with the problem. Not too many at one time as when the food source is gone the cleanup crew will have difficulties in sustaining themselves. go slow and good luck)

Good comment jhnrb. The brown algea can be easly caused by two things... one is over feeding & bad skimming causing phospates to rise. Two is using tap water, try using RO/DI ... you can buy a water filter off of ebay for about $100. OHH and buy a fairly extensive test kit. Posting its results on the forum can always help us determine whats wrong with your water. Welcome to the forum!!

Check out the Helpfull Articles section jhnrb has put together.... GREAT reading! https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Got a question to ask you guys. Since posting I have done another water change (Last Monday 12/26) and even thou brown algea has stayed the same I now notice today especially that the water is cloudy. I have checked water parameters and all except for Phosphates are fine. Phoshates are 0.5ppm which is kinda high. Overall I have only added phosban to lower phosphate levels but it seems water is getting cloudier and it has a nasty smell to it. Corals and fish seem fine and healthy thus far but would appreciate help or info as to what this is. Is this normal??

your system should always smell fresh like the fresh ocean smell you get at the beach. What has caused your cloudy water is not known but your water parameters are not ok with cloudy smelly water. I would suggest you run some good quality activated carbon (the kind that sissles when put in water the 1st time). run the carbon for a week or so and see if that does not help, cut back on the feeding, use a phosphate sponge to remove phosphate and sit tight with 10 percent water changes weekly. always top off you system with ro/di water (distilled water will work). then use salt water that you have prepared and circulated for a couple days for water change. the new salt water must be same temperature. sounds like your system is not fully cycled yet. what is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, hardness levels. what all are you putting in the system. good luck keep us posted. will try and respond when more information is given.

jhnrb said:
your system should always smell fresh like the fresh ocean smell you get at the beach. What has caused your cloudy water is not known but your water parameters are not ok with cloudy smelly water. I would suggest you run some good quality activated carbon (the kind that sissles when put in water the 1st time). run the carbon for a week or so and see if that does not help, cut back on the feeding, use a phosphate sponge to remove phosphate and sit tight with 10 percent water changes weekly. always top off you system with ro/di water (distilled water will work). then use salt water that you have prepared and circulated for a couple days for water change. the new salt water must be same temperature. sounds like your system is not fully cycled yet. what is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, hardness levels. what all are you putting in the system. good luck keep us posted. will try and respond when more information is given.

I will be going this morning to the LFS to have my water checked. I will ask about Phosphate sponge as the phosban I have in there doesnt seem to do much. Im not sure what carbon is or does but will ask once Im there thanks for advise. Its funny how after I did the water change it seemed to make water look worse and not better. Could this bee a bacteria bloom of some sort?

could be or could be too high ph and alkalinity at same time, or other water imbalance causing whats called marine snow. if that is what is going on water changes will only worsen the situation. it has to run its course then you can correct any imbalances. hard to say at this point. add carbon and change out weekly for couple weeks, you need a protien skimmer, and hold off on water changes unless your water smells unfresh. post your water parameter results and lets take it from there. good luck.

Tested water at LFS and all looks fine except for Phosphates which are at 0.1ppm. I purchased some phosban filter strips and carbon sponge to help clear up the water. Since doing this yesterday today water is about 50% clearer and brown algea has died down a bit.

How long do I run the carbon for? 2 weeks and then another water change?

Back