• Natural and Synthetic Mixed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nikkoabenales

Reefing newb
Hello Living Reefs People!

I have 2 tanks....

a 15 gal. with sand, LR, overhead filter and a protein skimmer.

and a 35 gal. with sand, LR, overhead filter and a protein skimmer.

They've been running for 2 weeks now and I have no idea what to do next.

Okay, now here's what I want (if possible):

First, I wanna get through this cycle thing (Obviously)
Next, Clean-up Crew - have no idea what to get so recommendations please....
Then, THE RIGHT fish (number, size...of course I want cute ones...)
Next, (THIS IS WHAT I REAAALLY WANT) seahorses and starfish
Last, some corals - again, recommendations please...

I think I'm asking too much from you guys but I'd really appreciate your insights/suggestions/advices...

Thank you very much!

- Nikko

Hello, fellow flippy! I grew up in Makati/Mandaluyong :D But I've been here in the U.S. for over 25 years now ;)

Do you have a test kit? Also you'll need a refractometer to check your salt levels.

Seahorses....are not easy. Check out the seahorse section here for what to expect. I don't know if seahorsesource.com delivers to the Philippines, but they're the best place to order them, and it's not cheap.

If you get natural salt water, you'd have to go deep deep deep in the ocean to get it, because the surface water is full of pollutants. But I don't know how the market for salt there is...how expensive they are and stuff.

For fish in a 15 g, you're limited to one, MAYBE 2 fish. And that won't be big enough for a searhorse to be happy.

I'd wait on a starfish, since they do clean the tank, and they would starve in a new tank. I suggest one or 2 clownfish, or a gobie or blenny for a tank that size.

I'll defer the corals question to others. I've only got a fowlr tank :)

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome!!!

You should read this about cycling a tank, it should answer most of your questions:
https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html

I wouldnt recommend you getting seahorses, especially if you cant find them captive breed. The wild caught ones are extremely hard to get eating frozen food, very disease prone, and will probably not end well for you or the seahorses. Even the captive breed seahorses arent great beginner fish, plus they need a very specific set up.

If you are totally set on seahorses, i would get a couple of years experience keeping a saltwater fish tank while doing a total research project on them to prepare yourself. If you cant find them captive breed, i would be prepared to feed them live foods for the rest of their lives.

Here is a good write up on seahorses:
https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html

Plus you cant keep seahorses with most corals.

For fish, you are limited to 1 fish for every 10 gallons, and they need to be small fish as well. But there are lots a great fish that will live happily in your tank!
Check out this link for some ideas
Nano Fish

I would be concerned about keeping a starfish in the 15 gal, i dont think it could provide enough food for him, but after the 35 gal gets well established a think starfish would do fine in there.

@ wontonflip & little_fish

Thanks!

I'm now starting to think about not getting a seahorse...

Both tanks are cycling for 2 weeks now.

I don't know if this is right but I'm thinking about putting in a clean-up crew first...
Do you have recommendations/suggestions on what to get for both tanks?

And I find the coral banded shrimp very intriguing... Should I have one? I heard they're the marine version of satan, some say the marine version of the Grim Reaper.... lol

I would go for a variety of different critter for your CUC, i would check out this site for an idea of what to get. Im not sure what is available in your area, but you dont need a large crew for your small tanks.

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae

Also i wouldnt suggest the coral banded shrimp unless you want to let him live in the 15 gal by himself. They can be model citizens for a few months, but once they get large and settled in, they can become holy terrors. They can go after other inverts and your fish. What a cleaner shrimp or a fire shrimp? Both are very cool looking and they play much nice with other inverts and fish.

Alrighty then! Cleaner Shrimp it is! I'm not sure if they sell Cleaner Shrimps here in Manila but I have lots of time to find one!

The ammonia level of both my tanks are sky high as of now so, I have lots of time for preparation.

Maybe after 2 or 3 weeks, the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels should be stable. Do you guys think that I should get a cleaning crew first before a pair of percula clowns?

IMO it doesnt matter in what order you add them, I would probably do it at the same time because who can hold off adding that first fish after you are done cycling :)

Right! Honestly, I can't wait! But I know I have to... I wouldn't wanna see livestock die in my tanks...

What do you think about yellow tailed damsels? Someone told me they can be aggressive and attack other fish....

2 clowns... Alright... Is it safe to transfer an established tank to a bigger tank? Coz, maybe in the future, I'm gonna want to have more fish...

Well, you can keep more fish, but none of the fish you can keep will be bigger than the ones you can keep in the 15 or 30. If you want tangs, you need a 6 foot long tank, if you want trigger and big angels, i would look in the 200+ gal range.

There are lots of cool fish that can be kept in a 50, but do be aware that not every fish can live happily in a 50 gal tank.

I would look at this site:
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

Pick the fish you want to keep, and size your tank from there. Be away that I do not recommend their sizing on tangs and triggers, but otherwise they are pretty good

Whoa... I think I'm gonna stick with small fish... a 50 gal tank is the biggest I can keep in my apartment. And my 35 gal..., I'll just bring it to a glass shop and ask them to put some dividers so I can turn it into a sump....

I'm just new here but I think I'm now officially addicted to this....

I'm learning so many things and I'm loving the challenge it brings!

Back