Newbie here :)

isa

Reefing newb
Hello everyone :)

My name is Isa and I am from Canada. I am starting to learn on saltwater aquariums and I am planning to buy my first one in a couple of months. I want to be as prepared as I can be before making the jump.

Glad to meet you all :D

Hi Isa! Welcome to the forums :)

What are you looking at buying? And its a great idea to get as much knowledge as you can because it can be very hard to keep them at 100% :)

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone :)

@Josh, I am not sure yet but since I just read somewhere that it is not a good idea to mix invertebrates and fishes, I think I am going to go with invertebrates... But there is so much species, sub species and infos on the net, it is hard not to get mixed. That is why I thought that joining a forum would be the best I could do to learn everything I need to know :).

@ old 5k0ol, The Canadians of Mtl (the team of my city) was not the best this year, so they are probably playing golf since a little while lol.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Many people have a mix, me for one, i have a crab, snails, hermits, clownfish, chromis and much more.
So what fish and invertebrates would you like?

I have a little question, I just saw in the articles section that coming on the net to find info is not enough and buying a book is essential, if I have to buy a book about the hobby, which one should I buy? :) There are a couples that are interesting me but I would love to start with one :)
Thank you

Thanks for the quick answer Waddi :)
I am not too sure, I do not know all my options yet and there are sooo manys invertebrates and fishes :). I would love to have shrimps, starts, crabs and there is a fish that I saw at the pet store that was called cow something but I forgot the ending. I also saw one invertebrates that was doing electricity, you could see the blue line of the electricity he was doing, it was beautiful :)

Reef tanks mix fish and invertebrates. Certain fish will eat inverts, but there are literally hundreds of fish that are compatible with invertebrates.

@ Sarah, thank you, I did not know it was possible. Maybe I am going to go with both now that I can mix some of them.

Wow, it looks very hard and very complicated. It is not as simple as I thought. There are so much equipments to buy and so much diseases and so much things that could happen that could make all my aquarium residents die.

@Waddi, yes it is, I just saw that it was not a fish for beginner :( too bad because I found him too cute! Thanks for the suggestions for when I start my tank :)

Is there a minimum aquarium size I could go with if I want a tank big enough for everyone in there to be happy... I saw the article, but it did not say a minimum size.

And what should a quarantine tank contains? Should it have all the equipments my bigger one needs?

Cowfish are adorable!! If you want a cowfish, it's best to wait until you have a very large tank, as they require a lot of space.

You can keep a reef system in a much smaller tank though -- I think a 48" tank is best to start with, as it's easy to find equipment for, and your stocking isn't as limited as smaller tanks. Some 48" tanks are 55 gallon, 75 gallon, 80 gallon, 90 gallon and some 120 gallons (I think).

Normally rule of thumb is 10gallons for every fish (general)
If you want Tangs, (Like Dori out of finding nemo) you will have to have 125 minimum, they need a good 6 foot swimming space.
I do not know to much about quarantine tanks since i dont quarantine but my buddy whom i buy from does this when he gets his shipment.

Also if you havent read this you should do so! :D
https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html

Biff Ninja'd me!! :( Haha

Thank you so much for your answers :)

@ Sarah, I think I will go with a 55gallon.
@ waddi, I found the link very useful and it is now in my bookmarks :).

I am a little confused with the number of fishes I can put in the aquarium. If I want them to have a lot of space, is the rule of 1 fish per 10gallon can change depending of the size of the fish? If I want invertebrates, cleaners live rocks and corrals in the water too, does it change something for the numbers of fishes I can have in the tank?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Back