newbie in need of help

samstern

Reefing newb
so i am doing research on what needs to happen to start my new saltwater tank. my main issue is that i cant find a complete list of the supplies and other materials for the tank. can someone either give me a link or comment with a complete list? i have nothing and don't want to buy anything until i have a complete list. im new to reefing and need as much help as i can get.

also if someone could give me an estimate of how much the WHOLE setup for a 100 gallon reef tank i would really appreciate it

I was at almost the $5k mark before my 180 was wet, but there were things I'd do over if I had the oppertunity

You could ask 10 different people to list what is required for a tank and you'll get 10 different lists. Have you looked at any books on the subject? There are several good ones out there - but I would start with The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

Its not all inclusive, but you'd need:
Tank (a cover is a good idea as well)
Stand
Heater(s) (3-6 watts per gallon)
Lighting (more important if your goal is to keep coral)
Powerheads (10x-30x tank volume per hour)
Salt
Refratometor
Nets
5 Gallon buckets / rubbermaids
Sump (optional)
Sand (~ 1-2 pounds per gallon)
Rock (at least some of it needs to be live, you want a total of 1-2 pounds per gallon minimum)

Most importantly, you need a PLAN. Are there certain fish that you really want to have? If so, this is the time to think about them, and plan the system around them. I spent over 9 months researching and planning my tank out before I spent a single penny

As far as an estimate goes, assuming you want lights for a reef setup and you bought everything new, you're easily breaking the $1000 mark

I've spent well over $7,000 for my 90g and while I've gotten decent equipment nothing has been top of the line. For a 100g tank I'd plan to spend $5-6k on equipment alone, before you start adding in the cost of livestock, electricity, and water. In comparison, I've probably spent close to $800 on my 10g tank (including livestock). Bottom line, saltwater isn't cheap.

I'd add a few things to the list Northstar started:

Skimmer
RO/DI unit
Testing Supplies (liquid kits, not test strips)
GFCI outlets or adapters
Powerstrips
Mag-float or scraping supplies
airline tubing to start a siphon when you clean the tank
pcv pipe, valves, and cement/softner for setting up the plumbing for your sump
return pump for your sump
overflow box if your tank isn't drilled
step ladder to stand on to reach the bottom of your tank (or a sturdy chair)
a light for your sump (this can be a clip on shop light)

And for a 100g tank, I don't think I'd go without a sump or skimmer long-term - a few months is okay while you get it set up, but I wouldn't go much longer than that.

Another consideration for a tank that size is whether the floor you plan to put it on can support it - 100g is a large tank and you might need to reinforce the floor - you're talking 1800 or more lbs of weight in a 4'x2' area of floor. I put my tank at my office, which rests on a cement slab, rather than in my apartment which is on the second floor of an older home, because I didn't think the floor at home could hold the weight. If you need to reinforce the floor, then you need to add that cost in as well.

Once you add livestock, then you need to start adding the cost of fish, cuc, corals, chaeto, food. For my 90g tank I am now finishing my 3rd bucket of salt, and my tank has been up and running for 6-7mo - each bucket is $50. Again, stuff adds up quickly...

Have you read this article yet?

https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html

The only things on here that I don't think you need immediately (and can do w/o long-term if finances are a concern) are the auto top-off and phosphate reactor.

How much money are you looking to spend or do you have to spend on the tank? Knowing that might help us point you in the right direction as far as equipment, etc. - there are certain things that you just don't want to buy cheap brands because they turn out to be more expensive in the long-run when they break or you have to replace them because they don't work (skimmers, powerheads, heaters, lights are good examples). Also, do you want to keep corals, or just fish - the cost of lighting will change greatly depending on which route you go. Like North says, you really need to have a well-developed plan before you start.

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited:
Please read the article that FishyReef linked to. That is a good start.

There are so many directions you could go with a 100 gallon tank. With my 90 gallon, I was probably in the $8K+ range when all was said and done. Most of that is spend on equipment -- lighting and a protein skimmer tend to be the biggies in this hobby. Rock is expensive too, and you will need 1 to 2 lbs of rock per gallon (so at least 100 lbs of rock).

You can save a substantial amount of money (you can probably cut your costs by a half to two thirds) by buying used equipment. But that takes longer because you have to wait for the deals to come along. If you are in an area where there are a lot of hobbyists, it can be pretty easy to find used equipment at a good price. But if you live out in the middle of nowhere, you may be out of luck. Craig's List is a good place to look.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome!

Just to clarify a few things, i think you want to aim for a tank turn over at least 30x per hour, more is better.

Also the cover should be a screen cover, NOT a solid glass top. Those are bad for the tank. But its pretty easy to make a cover, so i wouldnt sweat it.

Don't forget to add in a RODI unit to the mix. They are around $125 and up.

For me (and I hope my wife doesn't read this!!!) I was hitting $5000 before a drop of water hit the tank. I added the RODI unit, 85 lbs of LR and 4 bags of sand the day I put water in it. (More $$$$) since that point, not including livestock, I've added two reactors, LEDs, 3 more power heads, 2 pumps, mixing station, pumping station, various water holding containers, testing supplies, filter bags and tons of expendables. (food, pods, salt, various other stuff.)

Along the way I have lost a few snails, one fish and several corals. Those costs add up over time too. Don't let ANY of this discourage you though! Shop around. Deals are out there. Used equipment is out there. DIY stuff can save a lot too. The trick is to have a good plan, go slow and not waste money. Do it right the first time with the right equipment.

The trick is to have a good plan, go slow and not waste money. Do it right the first time with the right equipment.

*So* true - best advice there is for anyone in the hobby!! Even with a plan I still have all sorts of left over stuff that I bought and didn't end up using (hoses, pvc fittings, wrong size baffles, etc, etc) - and believe me those little things really do add up!

Back