newbie needs help!!

blooray

Reefing newb
Hi guys, so i've decided, after years of desire, that now is the time to go for a saltwater set up! Ive read 'the conscientious marine aquarist' and spent what feels like an eternity gleening as much info as possible from forums/web resources. I've got a grasp of what the essential items do, and how they do it(or at least i think i do, time will tell!) Im just having trouble deciding which bits of kit are going to be essential for my setup, and more importantly what spec i need to get and some recommendations of tried and tested pieces of kit if possible!

The plan is to start off slow, with FOWLR and then move onto a full reef setup once the tank is established, and i want to buy equipment which will allow me to have a reef setup when i decide with out having to upgrade pumps/protein skimmers etc. may as well get it all first as last, and save money in the long term! .

I have a floorspace of 48" x 24" by my dining table which i wish to utilise for my tank. I saw a Seashell aquarium in a store last week which i like so i think ill go with that. i can use the full floorspace, so i was thinking a tank of 48" x 24" x 24" would be the way to go? What size sump would be the norm for a tank of this size (450 litres by my reckoning)?

Will i need any filters apart from a protein skimmer and the live rock and substrate? If so any recommendations? and also what protein skimmer would you all recommend? I dont have endless amounts of money(unfortunately) but i am willing to be patient and save for things if needs be. I have around £2000 atm but dont need to get everything at once, although i do want to buy the tank and as much as possible now so theres no going back! (knowing my luck the car will breakdown/ roof on my house collapse and ill use the money for that if i dont). The rest will come out of my next pay at the end of the month and anything else will be stolen j/k lol.

What pump and powerheads/streams should i use for a tank this size? im guessing ill need two?

Also there is a cupboard under the stairs near to where the tank will be situated, and im currently re-routing some water pipes upstairs so i can get a water supply to the cupboard easily enough(gonna crack on with that this afternoon now) where i plan on having a RO unit to supply me with water for my water changes. Any advice on which 1 to get? there are so many with hardly any difference i can see apart from the number of stages/amount of water made.

Also,is there anything else i need to know before i take the plunge and order the tank(dont want to sound like a div on the phone lol)

Thanks peeps

first off howdy and welcome to the site..:D

Skimmer: reef octopus makes a nice skimmer
Lighting: I would recommend a metal halide combo due to depth of tank...
liverock: I would do dry with a piece of live to help seed it( all will turn live over a short period of time)
substrate: doesnt need to be live sand will turn live
Powerheads.. I would at least turn your tank over 20 times( can always add one more head later when jumping into coral)
heaters: If I am not mistaken that is around a 120 gallon tank.. I would do 2 250 to 300 watt heaters
No filter is needed the skimmer and your rock will take care of it for you ..
sump: no specific size just get the biggest you can fit under the cabinet..
you are doing the right thing , slow and steady and alot of patience
Enjoy and good luck

Hello and Welcome!

You really dont have to wait to start your reef. Many corals are easier than fish IMO and flourish in young tanks. Plus, there is a limit on how many fish you can have in a tank and how often you can add them, but there isnt a limit with corals. It gives you something fun to buy and fill your tank with while you are waiting between fish additions.

Hello and Welcome!

You really dont have to wait to start your reef. Many corals are easier than fish IMO and flourish in young tanks. Plus, there is a limit on how many fish you can have in a tank and how often you can add them, but there isnt a limit with corals. It gives you something fun to buy and fill your tank with while you are waiting between fish additions.

thanks guys great stuff. Ill bear that in mind about the corals :) i acually think 'less is more' when it comes to fish i love corals!!

Back