newbie Taking over an established tank. need a little help

crm

Reefing newb
Hello everyone, I'm new to all this, and am about to buy my first tank. Its an already established tank thats been doing fine for about 3 years now, according to the current owner. This is a 37 gallon system with a 250w metal halide light fixture with two 45w actinic compact flourescents and moon lights. there are 2 Hydor Koralia power heads and one regular power head. As well as a Renafilstar XP2. The tank has approx. 45 lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of live sand, a few hermits, some snails, 1 cinnamon clown, 1 three striped damsel, and a purple lobster named Prince. (package deal) This is going to be a trial-by-fire learning experience and along with the tank I plan on picking up numerous books. My question for you all is, how well set up is this tank, in your opinions? What else should I look into buying to make it more harmonious and easily maintained? I've read the stickies in the beginner section, and have done as much research as I could do in the last couple days, but I thought I'd get straight to the point and ask you all what I should know and/or keep in mind. thank you all in advance for any help you can offer.

Colby

I would ask why they are selling it in the first place, because there are some problems that are not worth trying to fix. Can you also get some pictures of the tank?

The description sounds pretty good, but I always wonder what they are leaving out.

I would ask why they are selling it in the first place, because there are some problems that are not worth trying to fix. Can you also get some pictures of the tank?

The description sounds pretty good, but I always wonder what they are leaving out.

Great minds think alike, eh? That was actually the first question i had to ask; why are you selling a 3 year old tank. Answer: the previous owner is moving to Berkley, California for work, and doesnt think transporting the tank and fish that far would be wise. I'll try to get the pictures posted up.

think i got them uploaded.....:dunno:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 369
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 343
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 367
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 336
Yes, moving a tank is not fun... not fun at all

How much is he selling it for?

Tank looks really good, and the light should be good for corals as well. When you do move it, i would toss the sand. It traps all sorts of crap over the years, and its such a hassle to clean out I would just buy new stuff. Get lots of buckets and keep the rocks wet. I would probably return the damsel to the store, and maybe even the clown that way you can get the fish you like. Damsels and clowns can be very mean to new additions anyways.

I would toss the canister filter, not really for saltwater anyways and get a new powerhead. You can also look into adding a protein skimmer (much better filter designed for saltwater tanks) and a sump down below. This doesnt need to happen right away though.

I would add another powerhead, you want the tank volume turned over around 30x per hour. When you are moving, i would place the powerheads in the tank in a vinegar and water solution to dissolve anything that may be on them. They should be cleaned this way about once every few months this way, otherwise their flow will become very restricted.

Also ask how old the bulbs are, they should be replaced once a year

He's asking $300, but I feel like if I handed him $250 he'd take it. I'm in a very rural area, and getting some of this stuff will be a chore. So i'd like to get as much as I can in one big swoop, and be alright for a while. How much of the stuff listed above (sand, powerhead, skimmer, sump, etc) can I get at say petsmart or petco? I know, not the ideal place for anything advance, but it might be all I've got for a while. I'll ask about the bulbs. The tank is about two hours away from my home. How much of a pain is this thing going to be to move?

A super pain, but no tank move is every easy. Just get lots and lots of buckets!!

I think that is a pretty good deal for all the live rock and lights, but see if he will take the $250.

And you really cant get ANY good saltwater stuff at those stores (besides the frozen foods), plus most stores mark that stuff up so much, most people tend to buy dry good online.

haha, gotchya on the buckets. What kind of steps should be taken to move it? Yeah, I'll try to get him as low as I can. Kinda what I figured on the national chains...I'll try to find a semi-local fish store, or try to find what I need online.

sorry for asking so many questions. I'm trying to get all my bases covered and figure out exactly what I need to do here.

Rather you ask these types of questions now, than why is this dead questions later.

And you can put a trash bag in the bucket and that will cut down on the splashing. Put the fish in a cooler so that they stay warm and stir the water every now and then to try and keep the water oxygenated for them.

So rocks in buckets, livestock in bucket, sand in trash, move the tank, rocks in tank, fish back in. When everything settles down, add dry sand to tank.

ahhh, thanks SO much for the Step-by-step. exactly what I needed!

now here's my shopping list for the tank.

Lots of buckets and coolers.
Toss the old sand, buy new stuff.
Toss the old filter, buy new powerhead.
Protein skimmer.
Sump.
A second powerhead?
Possible new light bulbs.
A few "How To" books.

is there anything I'm missing or anything else you could think to add that would make my life a little easier?

The best piece of advice about this hobby is nothing good happens fast, so just take it slow, take lots of time to research and you will be better for it :)

And dont try and catch the fish first, it is very very very hard to catch a fish with rocks in the tank. So take the rocks out and then catch the fish. Which is why I suggest returning the fish if you arent 1000% in love with them, because it is hell to remove them. I suggest only putting in fish that you can live with forever and can live in your tank forever.

Have you had a chance to read through the stuff in the articles sections?

I'm going as slowly as I can at the moment...trying to learn as much as I can before monday, when all of this is probably going to happen. Would it not be possible to leave the sand and fish in the tank with a little less water and just load it up like that? I know it would be heavy to move, but would it be an option worth considering? yes, I've read a good deal of them throughout the day.

No, because even if you could move it with that weight, the added weight of the sand and water when being moved around can put unintended pressure on the seals and make the tank at risk for busting and or leaking.

ahhh, dang....i kinda expected to hear that. So what, in your opinion, would be best? Get this tank for $250/300 or start from scratch with my own? Am I really saving that much money by going this route?

I would get this tank, most of the equipment is very good and the price of the lights new alone would make the tank worth it.

I would just return the fish unless you are in love them.

I'm not really in love with them...I've never seen them, but its not exactly what I want...I DO, however, want this lobster. haha. Thank you SO much little_fish! you've helped me tremendously, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon!

thanks again!

always glad to help share the knowledge! This is not a hobby that I would like to have attempted without lots of help and research, not one you can just put together on the fly, waaaaaay too many ways to go wrong.

MarineDepot.com

I used them for most of my tank equipment. Their prices are good and their service has a very good reputation. I don't know how "rural" you are, but there aren't many saltwater shops around me, either.

Another quick questioin, Can I get by without a sump and get a smaller skimmer to hang on the tank? Would that be ok for the size tank I'm looking at? (37gal)

Back